The $150 SPL Challenge

couple of things you might add, Since buying new have whom ever is signed up to do the challenge have them (in a thread made for it) post up kind of a mini log of what they bought, Link to said ad or auction and a photo proof of sales recept to try and keep it as honest as possible.

I remember CAF doing this, but everyone used the same sub, and passed it along to the next person who then had a month to get the best score they could. I think to make it most fair, we need to all get the same single sub+amp combo, make it as cheap as possible, and have it come down to enclosure design.

Like get a SVC 4ohm 10-12" woofer from PE(or wherever) for cheap, and team it up with a small 2 channel amp for

couple of things you might add, Since buying new have whom ever is signed up to do the challenge have them (in a thread made for it) post up kind of a mini log of what they bought, Link to said ad or auction and a photo proof of sales recept to try and keep it as honest as possible.
No need for a receipt, just a link to a "buy it now" or website that you can purchase the item any day(no specials) at what ever price.

I have my back seat out, so I'm thinking a ton of 8" woofaz on closeout at PE.
That would be hella interesting. Not sure a closeout price would be ok as no specials applies..but do it I want to see it haha

I remember CAF doing this, but everyone used the same sub, and passed it along to the next person who then had a month to get the best score they could. I think to make it most fair, we need to all get the same single sub+amp combo, make it as cheap as possible, and have it come down to enclosure design.
Like get a SVC 4ohm 10-12" woofer from PE for cheap, and team it up with a small 2 channel amp for

HHmmm, this is interesting. Let me think on it..haha //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I like Bumpin's similar equip choice personally.

It isnt a challenge when you can use different things or throw four 10 dollar woofers in a box..

Id say restrict it through either box size, or cone area. Power limit should be universal.

That way, either you can do as much as you can fit in the space limit (An 8 horn.. verse a 10!) or a set amount of cone area and the most efficient/fitting box you can make.

Frequency should also be greatly considered, as well as the vehicle IMO. Even the 150 dollar limit imposes many options and non-level variables there.

Oh, and I didnt help inspire this or anything //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Edit - Actually.. using the same woofers and amps would be level to everyone, but I think being able to pick other things would be nice as well. Like normal competition. Then, itll ALSO come down to the competitors knowledge. Being picking the best driver for the application as well as designing a proper enclosure for it. Not just using the same sub everyone else is and throwing it in a little fart box hoping for good numbers.

Discuss.

I like Bumpin's similar equip choice personally.It isnt a challenge when you can use different things or throw four 10 dollar woofers in a box..

Id say restrict it through either box size, or cone area. Power limit should be universal.

That way, either you can do as much as you can fit in the space limit (An 8 horn.. verse a 10!) or a set amount of cone area and the most efficient/fitting box you can make.

Frequency should also be greatly considered, as well as the vehicle IMO. Even the 150 dollar limit imposes many options and non-level variables there.

Oh, and I didnt help inspire this or anything //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
In deed you did assist with inspiration.

things I am considering... I really don't want to use the same product exactly(at least not now). No one would agree and to many opinions.

sub woofer limitations(cone area perhaps)(maybe various classes split up by cone area)

enclosure volume(but I don't think I will do this..ported or BP guys would not like this)

Dont do classes, KISS! Simplicity is key for a little/fun comp.

Personally, I think cone area. Just set it to a single woofer, again for simplicity. A single 10 would be just perfect I think, as it would allow anyone space to do some of the more exotic and experienced enclosure types. Such as BPs as you said, or my favorite - some sort of horn-hybrid.

Quick review:

Single woofer (preferably a 10)

Same amount of power

Frequency limit to some extent.. a 133 at 40hz would take over a 135 @ 60. If 60 is their peak, great.. but that sortof unlevels it in my eyes. You have more experience though, so Ill let you chime in rabbit.

And PLEASE come to Tulsa. I am basically the only one here.

hhhmmm....

Here is my idea

3 total classes(no idea what yet)

no walls(sorry guys...just not a need I don't think..post up if so)

I will personally at the end of the year offer plaques to those who at that time hold the records for their class..that means 3 classes 2 spl styles. 6 plaques.

Start time..any time...I will do a cut off of Nov 1st and the next season would start Feb 1st.

I will do my best to keep everything verified to keep all BS down. If this gets large enough I will adjust rules/classes next year.

Input?

eh, im not a fan of limiting how many and what subs to use. 150 limit on sub and amps is enough. Any box design goes. Simple as that. The only thing i would like is classes for vehicle type. SUV, trunk, etc.

eh, im not a fan of limiting how many and what subs to use. 150 limit on sub and amps is enough. Any box design goes. Simple as that. The only thing i would like is classes for vehicle type. SUV, trunk, etc.
Any more input on this? I want to keep this fair and fun for everyone here...help keep the forum going as well.

Also trying to figure out how/what to put on plaques. I may need to speak with goob and get his input for a few things on this one.

i need to figure what subs...i have the amp picked out i need 4 10's for under $35 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
8" computer speakers are cheap I think?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.