The $1000 Dollar Challenge

Vox

I'm sure this gets asked a billion times but I really don't have the time to go read for hours upon hours and figured this might be fun for a couple of you to figure out.

Lets pretend you work at a car audio shop that sells every major brand. I bring in my 2003 Mustang and ask what you would recommend I do to replace the factory system with a $1000 dollar budget.

The car has the Ford Mach 460 System which I think actually sounds pretty good when it works. There seems to be an issue with one of the amps or a crossover as I'll be driving along and the speakers in the bottom of the doors will just stop working and I'll be listening to the treble through the top of the door tweeters and then the doors will kick back on when they feel like it. Ford has looked at it and of course it works fine when I bring it in. I can't duplicate it easily and its becoming really annoying. I want to just take it all out and start from scratch.

I am just looking for something that will hopefully sound as good as the factory setup (I hope better for the cash I'm spending). I am not looking to blow the windows out and let people a mile away listen with me. I prefer Sound Quality over Loudness.

So I think I need:

Headunit - I want to add Sirius while I'm at it.

Front and Rear Speakers - Component??

Amp?

Wiring kit?

I do not want a Sub, I race the car a few times a month and don't want the extra weight. The Bass with the stock system is fine for me so I'm assuming just replacing the stock speakers with something better would still have decent bass.

I'll be installing myself and as I understand with the Mach 460 I have to basically remove it all and run all new wiring which is fine.

So what would you recommend and have me listen too in the showroom?

Thanks! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Thanks I'll check it out, although I don't want anything in the trunk. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/veryhappy.gif.fec4fed33b4a1279cf10bdd45a039dae.gif

just an idea but if you wanted you could run good compononts up front and a badass pair of midbass in the stock locations out back. it would provide great accurate bass without the sub and junk in the trunk.

Eclipse CD5415 + sirius tuner, component speakers up front with a minimum of a 50w x 2 rms amp to power them. I would forego rear speakers entirely at this time but if you want to add some 6x8" speakers and run them off of the deck, no harm in that at well. Try and match the speakers front and rear for a close tone / timbre match if you can. As you hear different than I do, you must audition speakers. A oversize 6.5" component speaker should fit for you, consider good speakers if you like your music, brands like Focal, Macrom, Morel, Eclipse (Vifa in disguise) rather than your ordinary Pioneer, Sony etc.

well, my dad had a mustang with mach stereo, arnt the back speakers in boxes? i think they are, its a plastic enclosure i believe, if you could make some XXX 6.5s fit or adire extrmeis(sp?) fit it would be nice, and the stock stereo has some pretty good bass, but i think all the bass comes from the back speakers in that car right?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Vox

Vox
Boston, Ma
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
bamaboy