temp issues?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Im planning on installing a hifonics brx1600 in my 05 mdx. There is a rear cargo tray that the amp will fit in perfectly. Im planning on replacing the stock carpeted hinged cover with a retro fitted piece of plexi. my question is, how hot do these amps get? and what is a safe temperature range for them? My concern is that it will get pretty hot in there, even though it isn't really sealed off with anything other than carpet. im prepared to install a fan or two if necessary but I was hoping for some feedback with experience for this type of placement.

This amp (as many others) -- Will shut down when the heat sensor in it reaches 80 degree's C. (176 F) -- Now this doesn't equate to it can operate in 110 degree F temps in the location it is in.. this is the internal temperature , generally on the heatsink, of the Amp. An amp can reach excessive temperatures in relatively cool environments with very little to no airflow. Likewise an amp can reach excessive temps in a good airflow environment but with EXTREME ambient temperatures.

I'd keep a way to monitor the amp temp just by feel initially.. And see how hot it does get after playing it hard for 20 minutes,.. 60 minutes.. 2 hours.. etc. It may stay relatively cold/cool the whole time.. It may get just a tiny bit warm (this is perfectly normal ) -- or it may get pretty hot.. You never want it at a temp where you can't keep your hand on the amp without being significantly uncomfortable.

With my PPI 900.5 , 900watt 5 channel amp I have running in a Completely sealed enclosure space -- The Amp (which is Class D) was getting hot. Not hot where I couldn't put my hand on it and keep it there indefinitely.. but way too hot for my comfort.

So I didn't take any chances.. I grabbed a solid 120mm Low RPM, High CFM computer Fan (a Noctua.. but use whatever brand you want) -- and wired this fan up to a 4 pin relay, and fused it as well (just trying not to skimp on any detail of wiring..) -- I then fabricated the "door" that closed going to the Amp with a Dremel. I drilled Holes initially.. and mounted the Fan in a Pull configuration,.. where it mounted INSIDE the door (couldn't be seen) but pulled air from the car's cabin and ****** it into and blew that cooler air across the amp.. creating much needed airflow in this location. Then I later had a piece come in to make it look "clean" and cut out those holes into a rectangle shape (smaller than the 120mm) but large.. to get more airflow out of the fan,.. as this was going to be cleanly covered by the part I ordered after I fabbed it in.

It ended up looking something like this:

The Door to Amp Open, showing the Fan mounted in the Pull Configuration:

Door Shut and The outer piece I ordered to clean it up:

You can put the Fan(s) in however you want of course.. and there's always a chance the amp may not run hot.

This amp (as many others) -- Will shut down when the heat sensor in it reaches 80 degree's C. (176 F) -- Now this doesn't equate to it can operate in 110 degree F temps in the location it is in.. this is the internal temperature , generally on the heatsink, of the Amp. An amp can reach excessive temperatures in relatively cool environments with very little to no airflow. Likewise an amp can reach excessive temps in a good airflow environment but with EXTREME ambient temperatures.
I'd keep a way to monitor the amp temp just by feel initially.. And see how hot it does get after playing it hard for 20 minutes,.. 60 minutes.. 2 hours.. etc. It may stay relatively cold/cool the whole time.. It may get just a tiny bit warm (this is perfectly normal ) -- or it may get pretty hot.. You never want it at a temp where you can't keep your hand on the amp without being significantly uncomfortable.

With my PPI 900.5 , 900watt 5 channel amp I have running in a Completely sealed enclosure space -- The Amp (which is Class D) was getting hot. Not hot where I couldn't put my hand on it and keep it there indefinitely.. but way too hot for my comfort.

So I didn't take any chances.. I grabbed a solid 120mm Low RPM, High CFM computer Fan (a Noctua.. but use whatever brand you want) -- and wired this fan up to a 4 pin relay, and fused it as well (just trying not to skimp on any detail of wiring..) -- I then fabricated the "door" that closed going to the Amp with a Dremel. I drilled Holes initially.. and mounted the Fan in a Pull configuration,.. where it mounted INSIDE the door (couldn't be seen) but pulled air from the car's cabin and ****** it into and blew that cooler air across the amp.. creating much needed airflow in this location. Then I later had a piece come in to make it look "clean" and cut out those holes into a rectangle shape (smaller than the 120mm) but large.. to get more airflow out of the fan,.. as this was going to be cleanly covered by the part I ordered after I fabbed it in.

It ended up looking something like this:

The Door to Amp Open, showing the Fan mounted in the Pull Configuration:

Door Shut and The outer piece I ordered to clean it up:

You can put the Fan(s) in however you want of course.. and there's always a chance the amp may not run hot.
****, That looks really good...You may have just made me reconsider the plexi part of the equation, I really like how clean that looks. like I said, Im gunna try it w/o fan first and see how it goes. Thanks for all the help!!!!

****, That looks really good...You may have just made me reconsider the plexi part of the equation, I really like how clean that looks. like I said, Im gunna try it w/o fan first and see how it goes. Thanks for all the help!!!!

Thanks.. I'm no pro -- This was my first Install ever.. Just did what I could -- My goal with it was to be inside the car have no clue it had a System in it.. And I succeeded in that.. cept the headunit of course. Most people wouldn't know that Cover on the door wasn't factory either.. as that's actually hidden behind the passenger seat.

Clean/Factory is never a "bad" way to go if you aren't sure. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Edit: Oh.. and this is the "mess" of wires I had going on when I as setting my gains -- Took quite a bit of "cleaning up" in that spot lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.