Team Hybrids Jetta build

Come to finals in Huntsville, AL. in October and i'll make it happen! I powered up the amps for the first time, yesterday. Even without the subs in, the car sounds amazing! These amps have tons of headroom and are incredibly clean.
Absolutely !!! And hopefully I can get you into my truck for a demo ...

I will be competing MECA Moddex and hopefully USACI Super mod Classes at that event ...

Here is a little progress, but I have to warn you--this is some boring stuff. However, it has to be done.

I build the back trunk panel.

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

Here, where you can see the top of the third amp, this is where the panel will be that houses 4 fans to cool the amp rack.

IMG_1247.jpg

Here is the panel without the fans installed--I have to buy a 2" hole saw, first. You will notice, where this panel meets the back wall, that my MDF for the back wall was bowed. I guess I will get some new wood and use this one as a router template to make a new one. :-/

IMG_1248.jpg

Behold my water damaged, old a busted headliner.

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

I removed all pillars, the rear deck and headliner. Here you see the blank canvas, soon to be covered with Raamat.

IMG_1251.jpg

Currently, the interior of the car is tan and black, with more tan than black. I greatly prefer more black than tan, so the rear deck, all pillars and headliner are getting covered in suede headliner material.

IMG_1254.jpg

I only have one part left to cover. Unfortunately, it is the headliner.

I just made my plans to be at MECA / Quad Cities Jam ... Florence, Al on the 27th

I'm making plans to compete, not for sure if thats going to happen, but I will be there with the truck 4 sure. Its in the process for a new paint job (we are hoping to atleast have the new hood finished out and primered for this event), but the system is operational ...

I highly doubt that you will be finished with this build (Mine is nowhere close to being finished ...LOL) by then, But I sure would like to meet up for demos and talk shop if you're interested ...

Yeah, I won't be able to make that show. Even if the car was show-ready, the new Hybrid Audio subwoofer I am using is not even in production yet. I am planning on my first show being in June. However, I may be able to make a couple MECA shows before then.

Honestly, the headliner was fairly easy to take out. I have not finished it, but I don't anticipate it will be too difficult to re-install, either. HOWEVER, to get the sliding sunroof panel out to cover was a royal pain!!! You have to drop the entire sunroof assembly and I did this by myself. On a scale from 1-10 with 10 being impossible, it was a solid 7.5.

Yeah, I won't be able to make that show. Even if the car was show-ready, the new Hybrid Audio subwoofer I am using is not even in production yet. I am planning on my first show being in June. However, I may be able to make a couple MECA shows before then.
Ok then ... Thought I'd ask

love it! Good work
Definately would have to agree with this post !!! My thoughts exactly

Yep--I'm already working on that. When I disconnected the hoses, I blew into them to check for obstructions. Driver's front was fine. Passenger front is completely clogged. Both of the rears, when I blew into them, the air just came our around the rubber that connected to the hoses--I figure this was the source of my leak(s). I think I am going to put a little silicone around the joint and then put heatshrink over that--should work.

Got the headliner covered and it was just as much fun as I imagined. And by that, I mean is royally ******. The suede headliner material I ordered unfortunately has very very little stretch in it. And my headliner has tons of compound angles. Therefore, it looks good, but it is not perfect.

I used a piece of 40 grit to remove the majority of the foam. After that, I was able to just rub the part down with my hand to get it ready to cover.

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

I went ahead and painted the corners of the sunroof opening black because I knew there was no way in hell the material was going to stretch enough to make the transition.

IMG_1258.jpg

Finished product.

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

Time for some trunk panel action.

I am creating the rough shape of my panels. I try to get them close, but I don't go overboard making sure they fit absolutely perfect--you'll see why in a minute.

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

The two panels on either side of the amp rack serve as the platforms on which the finished panels will sit.

IMG_1264.jpg

Here is the left side panel in place. Once again, good but not perfect gaps.

IMG_1266.jpg

Here, I am getting the curve for the center panel. You may do it a different way, but this is how I get my curved surfaces. A pass with the flush cut bit and there you go!

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

All three bottom panels in place

IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

One thing people tend to overlook when doing builds like this is material thickness. Everything goes in great before covering, then not so great afterwards. Here, I am using a piece of aluminum stock to gap my panels.

IMG_1273.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.