TC Sounds Epic 10 or JL 10W6v2?

Hey guys - This questions stems from a disagreement that RunninRedline and I had over at Clublexus. His arguement or point if you will is that the TC is a "The best bang for your buck Sub is made by a company called TC Sounds Epic Line. They are comparable to the JL W7 line." Keep in mind this was posted in the Lexus ISF sub forum - a forum for owners who own a 416 HP lexus who typically run small fiberglass box with aproximately .8cu (Magic Cas box link below). I stated that I liked the TC epic line - although its more inline with the W3 series (a little better). I never said JL's are 'the best' I think everyone in the CA industry has a love/hate relationship with JL. JL is popular because they won the marketing business when the CA scene blew up in the 90's - everyone recognizes them and most shops carry their products. They make good products (Amps & Subs) that are very expensive - too expensive in my opinion. Botique brands are certainly a much better value - unfortunately the 'average' buyer just wants a cool stereo and so they end up with JL or similar. I run ImageDynamic and RE sub products in my cars (JL and ArcAudio amps).

Anyways - I have one the Magic Cas boxed (.8cu) and have a 12" ImageDynamics IDQ which is designed to run in a .65-1.0cu box - works great. I think the TC is much better suited for either a larger sealed box (around 2+cu) or ported - features that are not desirable in the Lexus ISF (or any other performance car due to the added weight and trunk space requirements). I don't think the TC Epic series is 'a great sub' for a small sealed enclosure - there are plenty of subs that would play better in such an enclosure. Thoughts?

Clublexus Post -> clublexus.com/forums/is-f/662601-aftermarket-sub-woofer-advice.html

Sealed Box Manufacture -> wickedcas.com/product.php?productid=17&cat=6&page=1

Hey guys - This questions stems from a disagreement that RunninRedline and I had over at Clublexus. His arguement or point if you will is that the TC is a "The best bang for your buck Sub is made by a company called TC Sounds Epic Line. They are comparable to the JL W7 line." Keep in mind this was posted in the Lexus ISF sub forum - a forum for owners who own a 416 HP lexus who typically run small fiberglass box with aproximately .8cu (Magic Cas box link below). I stated that I liked the TC epic line - although its more inline with the W3 series (a little better). I never said JL's are 'the best' I think everyone in the CA industry has a love/hate relationship with JL. JL is popular because they won the marketing business when the CA scene blew up in the 90's - everyone recognizes them and most shops carry their products. They make good products (Amps & Subs) that are very expensive - too expensive in my opinion. Botique brands are certainly a much better value - unfortunately the 'average' buyer just wants a cool stereo and so they end up with JL or similar. I run ImageDynamic and RE sub products in my cars (JL and ArcAudio amps).
Anyways - I have one the Magic Cas boxed (.8cu) and have a 12" ImageDynamics IDQ which is designed to run in a .65-1.0cu box - works great. I think the TC is much better suited for either a larger sealed box (around 2+cu) or ported - features that are not desirable in the Lexus ISF (or any other performance car due to the added weight and trunk space requirements). I don't think the TC Epic series is 'a great sub' for a small sealed enclosure - there are plenty of subs that would play better in such an enclosure. Thoughts?

Clublexus Post -> clublexus.com/forums/is-f/662601-aftermarket-sub-woofer-advice.html Sealed Box Manufacture -> wickedcas.com/product.php?productid=17&cat=6&page=1
Have you ever modeled both of those subs? I'm going to say no. So my thoughts are you should find a qtc calculator online and do that.

The epic in around an .85 ft3 enclosure has a qtc of .85 and a f3 of 44.95hz

The idq in around a .85 ft3 enclosure has a qtc of .8 and a f3 of 49.9hz

The idq will have a slightly flatter frequency response not noticeable by the average listener in fact the average person that's not used to sound quality prefer a qtc of .9 that produces a slightly emphasized range that most music is now produced. The epic will play lower in the same enclosure. In this case I'd still go with the epic.

I've never modeled the 10 and I can't because I'm at work right now and my program of choice is on my home PC. So now you yourself are saying you'd pick the TC speaker over the ID?...

Oh sorry trippy thought you picked the W6 earlier in the post had to read up further. We were debating about W6 vs Epic in that enclosure.
Well he was trying to compare his 12" idq to the epic so yeah I modeled the 12" epic and the idq.

If you want a qtc of .707 which is the flattest response curve you can get your going to need to put that 10 in an enclosure that's .417 ft3. Yes it sounds small but trust me. That's what it requires. But honestly if that was my sub to play with I'd throw it in a .9 ft3 enclosure tuned to 29-30 Hz. You won't regret it. You'll likely have as much low end output out of that 10 than he is getting from his sealed 12 and it will have a very smooth and flat frequency response.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.