Taking Apart An Alt

Participant count
  • Participant list

Alpine CDA-9815
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
BFE
Ok well I gotta problem. I had a 200 amp alt made for my car, and it came with some weird ass bolt thing for the battery. It wasen't the standard bolt with the nut on back, but like a peice of metal with a tap in it. Well anyways I called up the guy and asked if I can just take it out and put in the regular bolt with a nut in it, he said yes. Well what he didn't tell me was that it was held in by a nut in the back, and when I unscrewed it the nut fell out of place so I can't screw anything back into it. The guy said I could send it back to him, or take it apart and fix it myself, but it would void my warranty if I did. Now would anything spring out of it if I took it apart? It would be easier to send it back to him, but I really don't want to pay $40 or whatever for shipping, and then having to wait a week or so to get it back.

DONT TAKE IT APART...pieces WILL fly out, i know master techs that wont open alt's up because it is too easy to screw up and chances of you getting it back correctly are slim to none!!

Ok well I gotta problem. I had a 200 amp alt made for my car, and it came with some weird ass bolt thing for the battery. It wasen't the standard bolt with the nut on back, but like a peice of metal with a tap in it. Well anyways I called up the guy and asked if I can just take it out and put in the regular bolt with a nut in it, he said yes. Well what he didn't tell me was that it was held in by a nut in the back, and when I unscrewed it the nut fell out of place so I can't screw anything back into it. The guy said I could send it back to him, or take it apart and fix it myself, but it would void my warranty if I did. Now would anything spring out of it if I took it apart? It would be easier to send it back to him, but I really don't want to pay $40 or whatever for shipping, and then having to wait a week or so to get it back.
Shitt... 40bucks for shipping?? goto the USPS and get a flat rate box and send it, that's how I sent mine back. It was 7bucks.

Shitt... 40bucks for shipping?? goto the USPS and get a flat rate box and send it, that's how I sent mine back. It was 7bucks.
Well I was just guessing at a price, cuz of the weight, and I think I will have to pay shipping both ways. I also like using FedEx, they are alittle more expensive but they are also more reliable IMO.

Well I was just guessing at a price, cuz of the weight, and I think I will have to pay shipping both ways. I also like using FedEx, they are alittle more expensive but they are also more reliable IMO.

Insurance is another like $1 with usps. shipping on mine for when they shipped it to me fedex(flordia to michigan) was like 43bucks.

Well I talked with the guy that built it for me. He said I can just send it back, and he will put on the right battery post for me. He also said he would refund the shipping charge, and even paint it for me for free if I want. I guess I'll have it painted black, why not right. It's a mistake that happens, his plans showed two different battery posts and he put on the wrong one, no biggie.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.