T shaped port question

csu87
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
For a T shaped port in the middle of the box, do you go the full length or do you split it in half for the "T" part?

If my total length is to be 24" and i can get 19" before the split, do i go 5" to each side or 2.5" to each side?

also, is the top of the "T" the same width as the front?

5" width opening so is the back port 2.5" or 5"?

Thanks

heres a pic of the problem

front of box is at the top and back of box at the bottom

tport.jpg

those are ? not sevens for the dimensions

Where the split occurs, the port should be half as wide, but should still travel the full distance. Let's say you have a port that's 4" wide and need 24". If it goes 19", the port length needs to then drop to 2" wide and still go 5" in both directions so EACH port has a total length of 24", not combined.

It will work, but I wouldn't do it that way. I would either split it up to two seperate ports or put it off to the side like in the image below...

69F_image2.jpg

thats a jl as in jl audio port.
Well I e-mailed that exact design to JL tech support...

Can you let me know if this is an acceptable design. When I mean an acceptable design I mean the way the port is designed not the actual specs. Thanks!http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2712/tport.jpg
No, you have different resonant frequencies in each of the port sections, you are much better off keeping the ports individual (and the same cross-sectional area) all the way to the front.

you DO NOT NEED A DIVIDER

and it ISNT A HALF ASSES DESIGN WITHOUT ONE

just as the above guy said use 2 ports that branch of the main port that are 1/2 the width

so if 20in long x 4in x10in w/h

and back of box is 12in you would branch off 8x10x2in x2

its really easy and you will not get turbulance or port noise this way as its exctly the same as a divider in the middle as the other guy said

i used to work for jl mirimar so no ned to ask them if its ok im telling you as are others here //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

gl

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.