Synthetic VS. Regular Oil

From Castrol's website

MYTH: You need to allow a break-in period for new vehicles before using synthetic motor oil.FACT: In the past, it was recommended that conventional motor oil be used for your first oil change to allow for some controlled wear to break-in the new engine. However, with current engine technology, a break-in period is not necessary. You can use synthetics immediately.
From mobiloil.com

Myth:You should break in your engine with conventional oil, then switch to a synthetic oil like Mobil 1.Reality:You can start using Mobil 1® in new vehicles at any time, even in brand new vehicles. In fact, Mobil 1 is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in: Mobil 1 is factory fill in:
  • Acura RDX
  • Aston Martin
  • All Bentley Vehicles
  • Cadillac CTS, CTS-V, Escalade, XLR, XLR-V, SRX and STS and STS-V
  • Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06
  • Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS
  • Chrysler 300C SRT-8
  • Cobalt SS S/C Coupe
  • Dodge Caliber SRT-4, Charger SRT-8, and Magnum SRT-8
  • Jeep Cherokee SRT-8
  • Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles
  • Mercedes SLR
  • Mitsubishi Evolution
  • Pontiac Solstice GXP
  • All Porsche Vehicles
  • Saturn Ion Red Line and Saturn Sky Red Line
  • Viper SRT-10
One of the myths surrounding synthetic oils is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. The fact is, current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design the high-performance cars listed above, Mobil 1 can be used starting the day you drive the car off the showroom floor.
Weird, you're wrong again. Using synthetic oil to break-in an engine is no longer required. And you call me a hick, yet you drive a ****ing hick tank?

You contributed what you have misconstrued to be facts. I actually cited reputable sources to back my facts. My father, grandfather, and 2 of my uncles are auto mechanics. I grew up working on cars, every day of my life. I was going brake jobs, by myself, at 6 years old. I got my first Snap-On tool set at 7. I built my first truck from a V6 auto, to a supercharged 360 and a T5, laying down 450+rwhp, with my own 2 hands, at the age of 17. My current daily driver serves weekend track duty at MSR Cresson, and TWS, and in April I'll be at MSR Houston. I've also embarrassed more than my fair share of much more expensive cars on my way through the twisties. Apparently, you're too dense to understand the Camaro/Civic joke, but what you actually drive is far worse. You want to call Texas a hick state, yet we're currently having an insurgence (that means lots of them coming at once, I know your probably fairly monosyllabic) of people from California, and just about everywhere else in this nation. We're currently one of the fastest growing states in the nation, and 7 of the top 50 largest cities in the nation are in Texas. 3 of them are in the top 10. You've apparently never been here, so I fail to see, on what grounds, you're referring to Texas as a "G.W. loving cesspool".

From Castrol's website

From mobiloil.com

Weird, you're wrong again. Using synthetic oil to break-in an engine is no longer required. And you call me a hick, yet you drive a ****ing hick tank?

You contributed what you have misconstrued to be facts. I actually cited reputable sources to back my facts. My father, grandfather, and 2 of my uncles are auto mechanics. I grew up working on cars, every day of my life. I was going brake jobs, by myself, at 6 years old. I got my first Snap-On tool set at 7. I built my first truck from a V6 auto, to a supercharged 360 and a T5, laying down 450+rwhp, with my own 2 hands, at the age of 17. My current daily driver serves weekend track duty at MSR Cresson, and TWS, and in April I'll be at MSR Houston. I've also embarrassed more than my fair share of much more expensive cars on my way through the twisties. Apparently, you're too dense to understand the Camaro/Civic joke, but what you actually drive is far worse. You want to call Texas a hick state, yet we're currently having an insurgence (that means lots of them coming at once, I know your probably fairly monosyllabic) of people from California, and just about everywhere else in this nation. We're currently one of the fastest growing states in the nation, and 7 of the top 50 largest cities in the nation are in Texas. 3 of them are in the top 10. You've apparently never been here, so I fail to see, on what grounds, you're referring to Texas as a "G.W. loving cesspool".
Well the facts are the facts, you quote oil companies and you experience with your father, I quote engine builders, and not car engine builder, if your cars engine fails you call AAA, if you aircraft engine quits the life of everyone aboard is at risk, so I like to see what they say, as they are more likely to have a no BS / err on the side of safety outlook on these matters.

"SUBJECT:

Textron Lycoming Reciprocating Engine Break-In and Oil Consumption

Limits

MODELS AFFECTED:

All fixed wing and rotary wing aircraft (horizontal installations only) with

Textron Lycoming reciprocating engines installed.

Service Instruction No. 1427B

After the aircraft has been released, the engine must be operated on straight mineral oil during the first 50 hours of operation or until the oil consumption stabilizes. (Refer to latest revision of Service Instruction No. 1014.) During this time, maintain engine power above 65% and insure that all aircraft and engine operating temperatures and pressures are monitored and maintained within limits."

-Textron Lycoming (FAA approved) Service Instructions

Also I got my G.W. loving redneck comment from the Texas Almanac

not to mention he WAS your governor...which means the MAJORITY of your state had to vote for him and he is the top dog for the republicans you live in a republican state...so do I have to connect the dots for you.

the facts are on record

"Republican Texas gubernatorial primary, 1998

* George W. Bush (inc.) - 576,528 (96.60%)

* R.C. Crawford - 20,311 (3.40%)"

"Candidates - Nominating parties Votes %

George W. Bush - Republican Party 2 ,550,821 68.24%

Garry Mauro - Democratic Party 1,165,592 31.18%

Lester R. Turlington, Jr. - Lib 20,711 0.47%

Susan Lee Solar - Write-in 954 0.03%

Total 3,738,078 100.00%"

If those statistics don't spell out your states support for that moron I don't know what does!

And that "hick tank" (as I believe you a referring to my M-1009) runs on bio-diesel, getting in excess of 22mpg whilst being able to traverse the types of terrain that we have where I reside; along with the fact that I took a ex-weapon of war and tuned it into one of the cleanest vehicles on the road re-utilizing the waist product of local businesses. People who drive green vehicles (and I am not referring to the main color of the camo of the truck lol) tend to run in a different flock then those that are commonly referred to as a "hick".

The Bush that was our Governor was a different Bush. I don't mean a different physical being, just a different 'mental' person. Now, he's just mental. Ask anyone and Texas, and they will tell you that Bush and Billy Bob Thorton don't deserve to be Texans. They're both idiots. Bush, for obvious reason, Billy Bob, due to the fact that he left Angelina, citing as one of the reason, the 'sex was too rough'. He's too weak sauce to be a Texan. Props on the hick tank. And the only person I trust to work on my car these days, other than family, is a guy by the e-name of TexanTony, who owns North Texas Performance. He was a mechanic for Delta for over 10 years, until they shut down his plant. Also, keep in mind that airplane engines, and car engines are on two different levels. An airplane engine is a much more 'mission critical' piece of machinery, just as you stated above. For that reason, they use slightly older technologies. Not because they're behind the times, but because they need to know what they are putting in the air is 'tried and true'. Granted, a lot of what we call 'new technology' for cars, is old news for airplanes. IIRC, DISI, currently used in Mazda's 2.3l turbo engine (speed3, speed6), is a replication of an aircraft engine's design. Airplane engines also make much more power, and I'd imagine, make more heat. I don't know much about aircraft, but I have seen personal aircraft with piston engines, in excess of 10 liters of displacement. That's gonna need more precision craftsmanship and care, than a 3.8l V6 used to spin a couple of tires, as compared to generating enough power to create lift, in amounts large enough to lift an airplane. For the 'better safe than sorry' super-extremist, you're right. But for someone who buys a new car, with the intention of keeping on the road, reliably, it is best that they choose a particular oil, and stick with it for the duration of their ownership of the vehicle. Making a switch is not a bad thing, but switching back and forth repeatedly is horrible for the engine's seal/rings. If you plan on running synthetic, then it's best to do it from the get-go.

The Bush that was our Governor was a different Bush. I don't mean a different physical being, just a different 'mental' person. Now, he's just mental. Ask anyone and Texas, and they will tell you that Bush and Billy Bob Thorton don't deserve to be Texans. They're both idiots. Bush, for obvious reason, Billy Bob, due to the fact that he left Angelina, citing as one of the reason, the 'sex was too rough'. Props on the hick tank. And the only person I trust to work on my car these days, other than family, is a guy by the name of TexanTony, who owns North Texas Performance. He was a mechanic for Delta for over 10 years, until they shut down his plant. Also, keep in mind that airplane engine, and car engines are on two different levels. An airplane engine is a much more 'mission critical' piece of machinery, just as you stated above. For that reason, they use slightly older technologies. Not because they're behind the times, but because they need to know what they are putting in the air is 'tried and true'. Granted, a lot of what we call 'new technology' for cars, is old news for airplanes. IIRC, DISI, currently used Mazda's 2.3 turbo engine, is a replication of an aircraft design. Airplane engines also make much more power, and I'd imagine, make more heat. I don't know much about aircraft, but I have seen personal aircraft with piston engines, in excess of 10 liters of displacement. That's gonna need more precision craftsmanship and care, than a 3.8l V6 used to spin a couple of tires, as compared to generating enough power to create lift, in amounts large enough to lift an airplane. For the 'better safe than sorry' super-extremist, you're right. But for someone who buys a new car, with the intention of keeping on the road, reliably, it is best that they choose a particular oil, and stick with it for the duration of their ownership of the vehicle. Making a switch is not a bad idea, but switching back and forth repeatedly is horrible. If you plan on running synthetic, then it's more than ok to do it from the get-go.
agreed

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.