Synthetic VS. Regular Oil

synthetic is better //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif it doesnt thicken as bad as reg oil in the cold, it offeres better lubrication, and it runs cleaner, it also lasts longer then regular oil.

only issue is using it in high mileage engines that have been running regular oil, the regular oil creates buildup around certain seals, and switching to synthetic will clean this away.

if youve heard that synthetic can cause leaks in a high mileage engine....its not exactly the case, the proper wording would be "it makes a leak thats already there "technically" appear"

synthetic is better //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif it doesnt thicken as bad as reg oil in the cold, it offeres better lubrication, and it runs cleaner, it also lasts longer then regular oil.
only issue is using it in high mileage engines that have been running regular oil, the regular oil creates buildup around certain seals, and switching to synthetic will clean this away.

if youve heard that synthetic can cause leaks in a high mileage engine....its not exactly the case, the proper wording would be "it makes a leak thats already there "technically" appear"
its the same **** if youve never done a tranny flush in an automatic. there are so many detergents in new tranny fluid that doing a tranny flush on a car thats never had one before, is going to result in leaks galore. it doesnt create the leak, but it takes away the filth that was gunking up the leak.

i started using synthetics on my car with 150k miles on it. no leaks so its all good. synthetics are the way to go.

btw, dont believe anyone that tells you once you go to synthetic you cant go back..because you can. and one of the main important parts about running synthetic oil, especially if your trying to make it last the 10k miles they claim is GOOD filters. do a nice oil change and use a nice big ass filter (usually mobile 1 makes the bigger filters) and run the car for 5k miles. then switch in another filter for the next 5k. you will loose some oil from the filter so top it off with some more synthetic oil and your good to go. most people neglect to tell you that even though the oil is 100% fine, the filter still needs to be able to do its job. and if its gunked up with ****, its obviously not working properly.

hmm thanks guys ya i was wondering what i should do with my 03 impala engine to make it work as best as it can.

If you have a new/JUST rebuilt engine for the first 50hrs of run time use minerial oil, there after use synthetic.
I could explain it all but I really dont feel like typing a page and a half.
Hopefully you understand this better than the inner-workings of a car dealership.

And there's is no answer to this question. It's a matter of preference, and what the engine needs. Synthetic can be too slick for some engines, and I don't mean because of the miles. Just an FYI, this forum is a HORRIBLE place to ask for maintenance and repair advice.

Hopefully you understand this better than the inner-workings of a car dealership.

And there's is no answer to this question. It's a matter of preference, and what the engine needs. Synthetic can be too slick for some engines, and I don't mean because of the miles. Just an FYI, this forum is a HORRIBLE place to ask for maintenance and repair advice.
WTF is your problem???? "Hopefully you understand this better than the inner-workings of a car dealership."

WTF does that mean?

Also the first 50 hrs is how the I have done it, it is also the recommended method of most aircraft enignes (piston)...and I think they are a little more...strict then the auto industry!

"this forum is a HORRIBLE place to ask for maintenance and repair advice."

---> mainly because of people like YOU

Again, this is the worst place to get car advice, thanks to know-it-alls like SuperchargedRS. He's the prime example of a god **** moron. He probably drives an 80s Camaro, or a Civic. There is no true answer to your question. It's a matter of needs, wants, and budget. It's also a matter of service designation. Call an auto parts store, or dealership, and find out what the service designation of the recommended oil for your car is. Then go to an auto parts store, and get that kind of oil.

From AutoMedia.comAre synthetics worth the extra cost? Universally, the answer is yes, whether for a high-revving turbo motor or an older engine that gets little use. Using another vivid comparison, French champagne is also worth the extra expense over sparkling wine, but it comes down to matters of your taste and bank account. Note, too, that most auto manufacturers do not specify synthetics, so unless you're one of the few who need synthetic oil, rest assured that you're doing no harm with good old-fashioned crude as long as you follow the owner's manual recommendations on viscosity and grade.
From AutoMedia.comNext, oil changes. The PAO base stock does hold up longer than petroleum-based oils, but the additives in both wear out at the same rate. The oil companies have tested their synthetics for longevity, but they still recommend following the specific owner's manual for oil change intervals.
Do your own research though. Stay away from websites that sell oil, or related product, and also oil manufacturers. They're all biased towards synthetics, based upon the fact that it's much cheaper to make, and it costs a bit more, hence, makes them more money. Try bobistheoilguy and check out the forums. Lots of killer info in there. And please, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying synthetics are inferior. I run conventional Castrol GTX 10w30 in my car, and Castrol Syntec in my wife's car. I'm not partial to either one, I just think that it's not a clear cut case. Just like DSL vs Cable, or Turbo vs Sueprcharger. It's all a matter of purpose, needs, and budget.

Again, this is the worst place to get car advice, thanks to know-it-alls like SuperchargedRS. He's the prime example of a god **** moron. He probably drives an 80s Camaro, or a Civic. There is no true answer to your question. It's a matter of needs, wants, and budget. It's also a matter of service designation. Call an auto parts store, or dealership, and find out what the service designation of the recommended oil for your car is. Then go to an auto parts store, and get that kind of oil.
Do your own research though. Stay away from websites that sell oil, or related product, and also oil manufacturers. They're all biased towards synthetics, based upon the fact that it's much cheaper to make, and it costs a bit more, hence, makes them more money. Try bobistheoilguy and check out the forums. Lots of killer info in there. And please, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying synthetics are inferior. I run conventional Castrol GTX 10w30 in my car, and Castrol Syntec in my wife's car. I'm not partial to either one, I just think that it's not a clear cut case. Just like DSL vs Cable, or Turbo vs Sueprcharger. It's all a matter of purpose, needs, and budget.
Yea no one knows anything but you...except you really don’t answer his question.

And I am a know it all? well I guess those who know the most presume they know the least, so I guess that works.

Also I only have commented on the threads that I have FACTS to contribute.

You must have some rocks on you to be from yeehaw inbreed honkeytonk, good ol' G.W. loving cesspool like texas…and you are ridiculing me! (because you assume, and we all know what happens when you do that) as you think I own a civic or camaro (and god knows how someone can get those two cars mixed up), yet you fail to see that the vehicle I primarily drive is written neatly just under my name....ONCE AGAIN YOU DEMONSTRATE THAT COMMON SENSE IS NOT NECESSARILY COMMON!

Also the commit about using mineral oil to break in a new engine is a REQUIREMENT

for most higher end vehicles (piston aircraft etc.) so it is a good rule of thumb to follow on lower means of transportation such as a car/truck/motorcycle.

…what a waist of time and bandwidth

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.