Switching from sealed to ported...

kdc_619
10+ year member

This will be the first ported box I've ever had. Had a older mustang with horrible trunk space. The sealed box I have right now isn't too great. I bought it with the subs off my friend at work as a packaged deal for 130.(2) Rockford Fosgate P2's I read the thread about ported vs sealed and 30-35 hz seems to be perfect for good loud bass without going into the competition and test tone category. I finally found a ported box that will fit in my trunk without taking up every inch of available space (08 acura tl). Crutchfield says it's tuned to 33 hz. I have a hifonics amp that has the sub sonic filter which filters out low tones that might potentially hurt your sub playing lower tones in a ported box. Around what level should that be set to given this is a 33 hz ported box?

Should the gain, low pass and bass eq be adjusted as well?

Where do they sell custom boxes? I couldn't make one I don't have many tools in my apartment
hit up this guy, he'll get you loud and he's in sandyland as well. his prices are a bit steep though but no where near as bad as shops and he has a lot more box building knowledge then your local shops.

https://www.facebook.com/jonny101abc?fref=ts

Whatever you do, do not buy a prefab ported. It seems cheaper and economical but you really get what you pay for, you'll never get loud and good sounding from a prefab.

This will be the first ported box I've ever had. Had a older mustang with horrible trunk space. The sealed box I have right now isn't too great. I bought it with the subs off my friend at work as a packaged deal for 130.(2) Rockford Fosgate P2's I read the thread about ported vs sealed and 30-35 hz seems to be perfect for good loud bass without going into the competition and test tone category. I finally found a ported box that will fit in my trunk without taking up every inch of available space (08 acura tl). Crutchfield says it's tuned to 33 hz. I have a hifonics amp that has the sub sonic filter which filters out low tones that might potentially hurt your sub playing lower tones in a ported box. Around what level should that be set to given this is a 33 hz ported box?
Should the gain, low pass and bass eq be adjusted as well?
none of the crutchfield boxes are good, waaay too small, too little port area and tuning is not correct. They peddling a bunch of cheap china wood boxes designed by a monkey.

As far as the sub sonic filter. Say I had a box tuned to 33 hz..what would your recommendation be for the sub sonic cutoff point?
The port stops doing its thing at roughly one half octave below the tuning frequency. That's 0.75 x 33 ~25 Hz. If you can set the subsonic filter at roughly 25 Hz you will be fine for most music. If you want to try music that you know has content in the 20s take it easy on the volume knob.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.