Switching From 8's to 10's

the motor weight on the HD’s isn’t the ferrite weight but is the total weight of the ferrites along with the bottom and top plates. The suspension on those subs is on the stiff side and they will need some airspace or the low end and output is gonna be absolutely terrible.

That's why I was leaning towards the VFL 10's. 2-½" voice coils and 150 ounce motor force.

Is there a rule about modifying your seat backs to make them thinner so you can make a thicker box without sacrificing leg room? Ahhh see, I got them idea's.

The top of the box is limited in depth because I'm not going to drive around uncomfortable. 4.4 cubes should work for 4 - 10's. I have a stock cabin right now. All speakers in stock locations and zero sound deadening.

The top of the box is limited in depth because I'm not going to drive around uncomfortable. 4.4 cubes should work for 4 - 10's. I have a stock cabin right now. All speakers in stock locations and zero sound deadening.
Why no sound deadening? How many decibels might you be losing to cabin flex? I know for a fact the roof of even a standard cab 1500 ram is big and bouncy.

It's more airspace than anything else. You would want at least 6 cubes net for 8 - 8's. 4.4 cubes for 4 - 10's is tight but feasible.
You know.. Back when I had an 87 Single cab long bed Toyo Low rider. I had 4 Kicker StillWater Gold letter SVC8 ohm tens in sealed boxes back in 88. Iy had the bench seat with the cut out in between so to speak. I had no skills and you and, no tools to speak of. I bought a dual sealed box that fit the truck that went behind the seats just fine, then I added one 10" sealed angle box behind each head rest for drivers side and Passengers side inverted the opposite direction that gave me space to put my sub amp on the bottom enclosure mounted in the middle to get some air on a Hifonics VII Atlas (sold a used truck to buy that joker} and that banged its Azz off on the sub duty. It hurt the body pretty good.LOL. I later did two more with the hardshell SnuggTop with the back glass removed and the rubber boot on same amp. Plywood was cheap back then and so was Indoor /Outdoor Black carpet 😬 Loved that truck. 4spd

Why no sound deadening? How many decibels might you be losing to cabin flex? I know for a fact the roof of even a standard cab 1500 ram is big and bouncy.
You know.. Back when I had an 87 Single cab long bed Toyo Low rider. I had 4 Kicker StillWater Gold letter SVC8 ohm tens in sealed boxes back in 88. Iy had the bench seat with the cut out in between so to speak. I had no skills and you and, no tools to speak of. I bought a dual sealed box that fit the truck that went behind the seats just fine, then I added one 10" sealed angle box behind each head rest for drivers side and Passengers side inverted the opposite direction that gave me space to put my sub amp on the bottom enclosure mounted in the middle to get some air on a Hifonics VII Atlas (sold a used truck to buy that joker} and that banged its Azz off on the sub duty. It hurt the body pretty good.LOL. I later did two more with the hardshell SnuggTop with the back glass removed and the rubber boot on same amp. Plywood was cheap back then and so was Indoor /Outdoor Black carpet 😬 Loved that truck. 4spd

Nice! Thanks for sharing that story! I'm trying to break a 150 in a uncut standard cab. I would also like it to be @ 35 hz. Or less. I've hit 148.9 db @ 31 hz. with my current setup.

Can you modify the existing enclosure and go higher and do two Aero Ports loading off passenger side????

Do you mean for 8's or 10's? The higher I go the narrower the top of the box gets. Diminishing returns. Do you not think 4 - 10's on a 5K is an improvement. That is 57% more cone area than 4 - 8's and 120 more ounces of motor force. 3,200 watts rms compared to 2,400 watts rms right now. And a 42% increase in power if zi switch to a 5K

There is two versions of the SA10. One is 750 rms and one is 900 rms. I was really thinking of just running 4 of these on a 5K. I like my VFL 8's a lot. Why wouldn't I just go with the 10's?

View attachment 40313
I had some SA12s and 10s earlier versions. I tried all different types of ported enclosures a lot of money and time spent on those jokers and never got that series to serve any justice for me. Did XFLs and never looked back. Night and day change. I sold all those SAs as quick as I could

Can you modify the existing enclosure and go higher and do two Aero Ports loading off passenger side????

Not with the angle of the wedge.

20220717_135006.jpg

I had some SA12s and 10s earlier versions. I tried all different types of ported enclosures a lot of money and time spent on those jokers and never got that series to serve any justice for me. Did XFLs and never looked back. Night and day change. I sold all those SAs as quick as I could

I will either go with the VFL, XFL, or HD 10". The XFL makes the most sense.

Nice! Thanks for sharing that story! I'm trying to break a 150 in a uncut standard cab. I would also like it to be @ 35 hz. Or less. I've hit 148.9 db @ 31 hz. with my current setup.
Ive never metered legally. I had a handheld that would go into Error at 140?? Ill be happy to hit a 150 my first Reading that I hope to try by next summer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...