surround sound in vehicle

Lschevelle
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
LA.
I was at work today thinking about how nice it would be to have surround sound in my truck...now i have a few questions

1. Is it possible to do such a thing?

2. How would a person go about doing it?

3.Will it be worth the effort?

4.What extra equipment will be needed?

You can do it around 1 spot of your choosing. But it would take a lot of time and work on tuning, staging, imaging and all that.

You could also do it in all of the seats in a car, but for an outrageous price. Google the car done by Critical Mass where they put surround sound in every seat. Pretty crazy

You can do it around 1 spot of your choosing. But it would take a lot of time and work on tuning, staging, imaging and all that.

You could also do it in all of the seats in a car, but for an outrageous price. Google the car done by Critical Mass where they put surround sound in every seat. Pretty crazy

To have real Dolby surround sound decoding and 5.1 or 7.1 sound you need to go old school or build a Car PC. Alpine is one company that used to make true surround sound equipment for the car. It never caught on enough to stick around, because when you're "supposed" to be parked to watch a movie your market for surround sound in the car is tiny.

I thought that they already played surround with the new DVD decks. I just bought a Kenwood ddx3something DVD and when I play my daughters Tinkerbell, lol, (only movie I have played on it) it is most def in surround mode. It's pretty cool to listen to in my truck because of this too.

Now thinking about it, I would like to listen to a good movie with an action scene and bullets flying to see how it performs.

I thought that they already played surround with the new DVD decks. I just bought a Kenwood ddx3something DVD and when I play my daughters Tinkerbell, lol, (only movie I have played on it) it is most def in surround mode. It's pretty cool to listen to in my truck because of this too.

Now thinking about it, I would like to listen to a good movie with an action scene and bullets flying to see how it performs.

Great thread. It's something I'd be interested in doing if it wasn't outrageous. We have a lot of time where we are "sitting in our truck at work" (yeah, we'll go with that) and because of that have the iPad setup for the dash so we can watch movies to help kill time. Currently I have to jack it in via aux since 2 head-units have failed to work via bluetooth.

Would a DVD head-unit be the only route for this? I don't prefer to have one, as we are all about digital-media. Disc just take up too much space, and in this iWorld it's easy to have a massive digital library in the space that 4 discs would take up.

Great thread. It's something I'd be interested in doing if it wasn't outrageous. We have a lot of time where we are "sitting in our truck at work" (yeah, we'll go with that) and because of that have the iPad setup for the dash so we can watch movies to help kill time. Currently I have to jack it in via aux since 2 head-units have failed to work via bluetooth.
Would a DVD head-unit be the only route for this? I don't prefer to have one, as we are all about digital-media. Disc just take up too much space, and in this iWorld it's easy to have a massive digital library in the space that 4 discs would take up.
If you used an Ipad AV cable it should work as well (iirc) as those cables should be doing full video and audio ranges while the headphone cords will only do stereo.

If you used an Ipad AV cable it should work as well (iirc) as those cables should be doing full video and audio ranges while the headphone cords will only do stereo.

any high end recording is going to sound like its surround but technically it stereo in vehicles unless you have a center channel speaker and 5.1 decoding.

I want to have the orchestra type sound in my truck and I thought tying to go the surround sound route is the best way to do so... any suggestions on how I can go about doing that?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.