supporting a vfl 200.1 @ .5 ohm?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Lil Poot
5,000+ posts

you sturrin at me brah?
Wichita KS
right now i have 2 yellow tops, a 31 series in the rear and a 34 up front with an iraggi 240a alt charging them. however, i'm still getting voltage drops to 11.3 (lowest i've seen, usually its around 11.5)

that is at idle, i havent measured it while i'm driving and fords lousy instrument panels dont show numbers, but it's slightly higher, i'd guess low 12's while driving at full tilt.

whats the first step to getting that back up there, maybe dual 1/0 runs for my big 3, dual runs connecting the battery in the rear to the front, more powerful batteries, or will i have to bite the bullet and get a bigger alt?

If you haven't yet do a big three with 1/0 or bigger, if you have then consider running another run or upgrade to 2/0 awg. IF you haven't yet run 1 run of 1/0 awg to the rear battery power and ground. IF you have then run another run both power and ground.

With that said if you have done these things then I would consider increasing the battery in the back to a Kinetik HC 2400 and if you can fit it a Kinetik HC 1400 or 1800 under the hood. These are far more powerful than the optimas that you are currently running. IF you have a true 240 amp alt then you should not have as big a problem as you are having. What are you getting out of the alt at idle? then test it at 2000 RPM's, this will give you an idea of what it is when you are driving. If you are getting only a 11.3V at the lowest and averaging an 11.5V for dip at idle then you really don't have a problem. Stereos rutinely dip and peak. Anything under 10V at idle and 11.5 at 2000 RPM's is the danger zone. I won't worry if you have 11.5V at idle, odds are that you have 12v-12.4V at 2000 RPM's.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.