Sunlight viewable Double DIN DVD

Participant count
  • Participant list

odens_14

SD
Hey guys,

Just dropping by to get some opinions on the best sunlight viewable double din dvd. This is for a homebuilt aircraft with a bubble canopy so 90+% of the time it will be in direct sunlight. It's a Van's RV-7 if there are any plane guys around. The sound is run through an intercom into aircraft headsets so power output and all that don't matter at all to me, as long as it has an FM radio, cd/dvd player and 1 rca out it's good for me. I currently have a cheap touch screen kenwood in there from circa 2007 and my wife really hasn't been able to use it for DVD at all because it's almost unusable in the sun even to tune an FM station.

my goals are:

-best sunlight visibility

-preference would be able to turn screen off without stopping music but MUST be dimable. (it takes very little light to very much hinder your outside vision when flying at night)

-less than $300 if possible but I would go over that if I had to to get something that works

-Bluetooth would be a great add, although not necessary

I'd appreciate any recommendations you would have.

Thanks,

Chris

The only workaround for a display washing out in direct sunlight is to shade the screen. This is a problem with any consumer electronics screen whether it's a radio, a TV, a smartphone, etc. I haven't used a lot of DVD head units, but Pioneer's NEX line can disable the display while music is playing. I do this occasionally while driving at night. You still have to briefly turn the display on to change sources and whatnot. The Bluetooth quality is among the best currently available.

Hey guys,Just dropping by to get some opinions on the best sunlight viewable double din dvd. This is for a homebuilt aircraft with a bubble canopy so 90+% of the time it will be in direct sunlight. It's a Van's RV-7 if there are any plane guys around. The sound is run through an intercom into aircraft headsets so power output and all that don't matter at all to me, as long as it has an FM radio, cd/dvd player and 1 rca out it's good for me. I currently have a cheap touch screen kenwood in there from circa 2007 and my wife really hasn't been able to use it for DVD at all because it's almost unusable in the sun even to tune an FM station.

my goals are:

-best sunlight visibility

-preference would be able to turn screen off without stopping music but MUST be dimable. (it takes very little light to very much hinder your outside vision when flying at night)

-less than $300 if possible but I would go over that if I had to to get something that works

-Bluetooth would be a great add, although not necessary

I'd appreciate any recommendations you would have.

Thanks,

Chris
I have the perfect deck for you Chris

Thanks, I know it's never going to be perfect I'm just looking for the brightest available. If I could get to the level of a smart phone in sunlight I would be ecstatic. Like I said with my current unit you can't even see clear enough to get to the right radio station. Even if I block the sun with my hand it's still what I would call hard to see. Just from walking through best buy I can tell that pretty much anything available will be an upgrade, I'm just looking for peoples opinions on the best/brightest.

Thanks, I know it's never going to be perfect I'm just looking for the brightest available. If I could get to the level of a smart phone in sunlight I would be ecstatic. Like I said with my current unit you can't even see clear enough to get to the right radio station. Even if I block the sun with my hand it's still what I would call hard to see. Just from walking through best buy I can tell that pretty much anything available will be an upgrade, I'm just looking for peoples opinions on the best/brightest.
Check out AVH-4000NEX, skip forward to ~30 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsSevS18Mb8?t=33s

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.