SUNDOWN Zv4 12 d2 3cu box too big

Participant count
  • Participant list

08PathPounder

Okay so I emailed sundown about this and they told me that I have to be careful with my gain, due to not enough back pressure In the box.

My question is, how do I deduct .5 - .75 cubic ft from a 3 cubic ft box? It's 3cu @ 32hz & sundown recommends a 2.25 - 2.5 cubic feet ported 2.5 being on the Prefferd side

E7C88976-7439-495C-BFF3-9D048CEF749E_zpsynmtnkxz.jpg'%20alt='E7C88976-7439-495C-BFF3-9D048CEF749E_zpsynmtnkxz.jpg'>

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so I emailed sundown about this and they told me that I have to be careful with my gain, due to not enough back pressure In the box.
My question is, how do I deduct .5 - .75 cubic ft from a 3 cubic ft box? It's 3cu @ 32hz & sundown recommends a 2.25 - 2.5 cubic feet ported 2.5 being on the Prefferd side

E7C88976-7439-495C-BFF3-9D048CEF749E_zpsynmtnkxz.jpg'%20alt='E7C88976-7439-495C-BFF3-9D048CEF749E_zpsynmtnkxz.jpg'>

add giant 45s in each corner and seal it up. You can then find the volume of a triangular prism and subtract it from the box. Be warned, your tuning will go up a good bit so add a few inches to the port length to compensate.

This won't work. If you shrink it .5 cubes without shrinking port area it with mess it up. Just try it out and see what happens. It might take less power to get the same output and that's a win.

It sounds pretty good so far but I'm afraid to bang on it if it's going to be affected to to back pressure wich in turn will lead to mechanical failure correct? I'm pushing 2000 watts @ 1 ohm so it's not like I'm going crazy. There are ppl with 5500w rms and these zv's take it all day, so as far as power goes in not really beating on it but hearing the words strait from sundown to take it easy has me a little shook about really giving it hell

If your gains are set clean you'll be fine. Use an o-scope or piezo tweeter to set the gain. They just have to tell you to shrink the box as a precaution in case some moron overpowers the speaker to cover their ass so they don't have to do a warranty replacement.

A local guy was running 2 Zv4 12s on a SAZ4500 each with no issues - you'll be fine with 2000w in a slightly larger than recommended box and it'll probably be a little louder than a 2-2.5 cube box.

If your gains are set clean you'll be fine. Use an o-scope or piezo tweeter to set the gain. They just have to tell you to shrink the box as a precaution in case some moron overpowers the speaker to cover their ass so they don't have to do a warranty replacement.
A local guy was running 2 Zv4 12s on a SAZ4500 each with no issues - you'll be fine with 2000w in a slightly larger than recommended box and it'll probably be a little louder than a 2-2.5 cube box.
Well I can sleep a bit better having read that it's a really nice enclosure as far as build quality and I would hate to mess with it. I don't have an o scope or piezo tweeter handy so I " set " my gains using crutchfields website... I know you might ask why spend all the money on good equipment and slack when you tune it and I have no excuse. Any tips? Besides buy an o scope?

Well I can sleep a bit better having read that it's a really nice enclosure as far as build quality and I would hate to mess with it. I don't have an o scope or piezo tweeter handy so I " set " my gains using crutchfields website... I know you might ask why spend all the money on good equipment and slack when you tune it and I have no excuse. Any tips? Besides buy an o scope?
A piezo tweeter is only a few dollars and will help you know where you clip. You'll wire it in parallel with your sub (the impedance is so high it won't affect anything) and when clipping starts to introduce high frequency harmonics, the piezo tweeter will start buzzing and it will be audible because of the very high sensitivity of the piezo. This method isn't as spot on as using an o-scope, but it's much more accurate than anything else I can think of.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.