Sundown x8 enclosure design help..

ROBL3870

I am new to the forum and I recently put a thread on the sub woofer part f the form about needing help with building a enclosure for a pair of Sun down x8 woofers. Someone suggested that I post it over here instead. First I will start by saying this box will be going in a 2016 Chevy Silverado crew cab under the rear seat. I already have a 3” seat lift to get me more room under the seat. I included a picture of a drawing a did quick to show what I am trying to accomplish. The measurements in the picture are not what the box will be but more to show you what kind of space I have to work with.

My first question I have is if I use a vented port over a aero port with the front of the box taller than the rear of the box going to affect port area? Or is the port area only based not the length of port and not really the height? This Is my first time at building an enclosure so please any feedback or suggestions is appreciated.

http://i65.tinypic.com/oswcwp.jpg

I am new to the forum and I recently put a thread on the sub woofer part f the form about needing help with building a enclosure for a pair of Sun down x8 woofers. Someone suggested that I post it over here instead. First I will start by saying this box will be going in a 2016 Chevy Silverado crew cab under the rear seat. I already have a 3” seat lift to get me more room under the seat. I included a picture of a drawing a did quick to show what I am trying to accomplish. The measurements in the picture are not what the box will be but more to show you what kind of space I have to work with.
My first question I have is if I use a vented port over a aero port with the front of the box taller than the rear of the box going to affect port area? Or is the port area only based not the length of port and not really the height? This Is my first time at building an enclosure so please any feedback or suggestions is appreciated.

http://i65.tinypic.com/oswcwp.jpg

From one crew cab to another, don't bother firing sub down. I have a x10 in a frontier and since rotating my box 90* (firing forward), I can turn the volume higher. Sub doesn't seem to bottom out. I raised my seats 2" and in the end I still had to remove my rear seats. Now that they are out, my new box for some 15's should be done in a couple weeks.

I did however have a SD-2 under the raised seats and it fit the best of both worlds, passengers and bass. I doubt you'll have enough space for a pair of ported x8's in a properly designed box.

Everything has to do with port area. Length, port size etc... What Hz you looking for?

Get with shredder, he designed a box for me after giving his specs.

Looks like a nightmare to build... .625" panels except the baffle and the best way to find enough clearance for the magnet is to slightly rake the baffle. Even then the outer flange will protrude past the baffle very slightly. I've not even made it to how to port it yet... looks doable maybe, but im not sure if I'd feel comfortable with the plans. The tolerances are gonna be kinda crazy to make it work. Are your woodworking skills pretty good?

Also I'd need a desired tuning and the actual amp and at what load you are gonna run.

This aint an easy one btw... lol

Its a hair over 9.5" how I drew it up side plan to check the clearance but just a hair

In all seriousness I would make a box and then build some cushions and make a seat out in a box I didn't say you was waste of f****** space and tell her to put Subs under the seat is terrible for acoustics

Shredder,

My wood working skills are really good and i have all the tools to do the job. The amp i am going to use is a Sundown SAE1500D @1 ohm. As for the tuning Sundown site says the port tuning should be 32 hz. I don't think it has to be that exact though. Thank you for your help with this.

If the enclosure is 52 wide can the port breathe if side ported?.. or are the seat mounting brackets solid? If they are not solid I've got one drawn up, its 1.98ft3 net around 17.2in2 per ft3 tuned just under 36hz...it utilizes a side fire slot. .75" baffle and the rest is .625"... it'll be a project for sure.

Sorry Op... that front port is not something im gonna mess with on a sloped enclosure. This one was hard enough just to find magnet clearance... as drawn it'll contact the panels slightly and youll need to pull the subs the last tiny bit into the box with the mounting hardware... even some carpet might be thick enough to stand off the drivers enough to allow clearance... lol... im talking about hundredths.. so it might be ok anyways.

I'm not gonna design an enclosure for 2 sa-X8's with .5" materials... if the port can work as drawn... this one should do ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Shredder, your plans sound like they will work. There is plenty of space for the side port and the brackets are not solid. Thanks again.
If you would PM me your email I'll see about sending what I came up with, it's about 10 drawings... lol

gyYNwQ.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.