Sundown x12 vs other subs

roccodiesel

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello, I have been looking into getting a new subwoofer and I have been looking on the forums and the sundown x12 looks to be a great option. It is quite expensive right now at $450 and I don’t know if I am comfortable spending that much. My question is what subs can compete with the x12 at a cheaper price if possible.

I am also buying an amp probably around 1500w so I don’t have to go crazy with electrical. I will make a 2.5-3cu box tuned around 33hz

I’m going to go wash my mouth out with soap after saying this, but the Skar ZVX isn’t a horrible sub. I just got one in trade, so I made up a box for it and threw it in. It sounds pretty impressive actually. Super loud and sounds acceptable playing music. That being said, 450$ for a sundown X isn’t a bad price. Even the budget Skar ZVX is 320$. Both of these subs are going to be very power hungry and will require upgrading vehicle electrical to properly run either. The enclosure is going to make or break your setup regardless of the sub you use. I just made a custom box for a Sundown X a few weeks ago. The probox prefab enclosure he was using lasted about 3 weeks before being torn apart.

I would recommend this sub on the power you are looking to use as stated. I have and use this series and the older version. i have one in a 2.0@32htz that I just pulled off my CT Sounds CT2000.1d that is a perfect match. Trying a different configuration @2ohms on the amp atm. That sub on that amp will slamm all day long!! A pair of ported XFL 10s will get down right Nasty on that amp too

I’m going to go wash my mouth out with soap after saying this, but the Skar ZVX isn’t a horrible sub. I just got one in trade, so I made up a box for it and threw it in. It sounds pretty impressive actually. Super loud and sounds acceptable playing music. That being said, 450$ for a sundown X isn’t a bad price. Even the budget Skar ZVX is 320$. Both of these subs are going to be very power hungry and will require upgrading vehicle electrical to properly run either. The enclosure is going to make or break your setup regardless of the sub you use. I just made a custom box for a Sundown X a few weeks ago. The probox prefab enclosure he was using lasted about 3 weeks before being torn apart.
I dont know man... $450 for a single sub under 2k RMS is getting a bit steep for a 12. $300 is pushing it for me. Not that much material there for me to justify the cost

A pretty decent choice to run on a 1500 rms mono amp tuned properly. I have a pair of 10s in this series and a pair of 12s. Great subs that do well and sound really nice for the $

You may even take a look at the American Bass Hawk series also? Ive been looking at those but I have not tried one yet. Ive tried several other A.Bass subs, and have

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you 🤢. The zvx subs really aren’t that bad and anytime I get local guys that blow them up, I’ll always take them in trade towards custom builds. I do the same with the EVl subs.

ban-button.gif

I appreciate all the recommendations I am considering American bass because I have seen pretty good reviews of them, but will the lower xmaxx compared to like a skar vxf 😟show?

You can start nitpicking details that don't matter much.

My XFLs can shake my entire car and I need earplugs when I start to put real power to them.

If you aren't competing in car audio you can't go wrong with any of these subs. They slam and daily music shakes everything nearby.

I appreciate all the recommendations I am considering American bass because I have seen pretty good reviews of them, but will the lower xmaxx compared to like a skar vxf 😟show?
A.Bass XFL is a phenomenal sub woofer that can play very nice within a daily system as well as get down and slamm at full tilt with the right power and properly tuned enclosure. I have been running XFL 10s and 12s for quite a few years and I have never had one fail on me yet. They have changed in appearance and performance over the years, but they are some really great subs for the money. There is a You Tube Vid of a Skar Sub (Dont remember Model #s of both subs tested)going up against a CT Sounds subs to see which would last longer in some testing

You can start nitpicking details that don't matter much.

My XFLs can shake my entire car and I need earplugs when I start to put real power to them.

If you aren't competing in car audio you can't go wrong with any of these subs. They slam and daily music shakes everything nearby.
Very good subs for the $

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...