Sundown sa8 v3's bass question

I own 2 sundown sa8 v3's in a custom ported box, and have them powered by a Sundown saz-1200d. My question is that it doesn't seem like my subs don't hit 60hz-100hz bass notes that hard. Although around 30hz-40hz they get violent . Oh I forgot to mention that my box is 1.5 cubic feet at 35hz. Is this just the nature of the beast, the box or is my amp not set up properly?

Thats the nature of a lot of the big motored subwoofers nowadays. It'll play those notes fine but wont hit them hard like old school and PA subs do. Thats why some people turn to a T-line enclosure or 6th order bandpass to get into that range. For now, try raising the low pass filter to 100hz+ on both the amp and head unit.

That's what I was thinking. I don't have the space for a T-line or a 6th order bandpass. I barely have enough space for the box they're in, so I suppose I'll just have to play low frequency songs if I want lots of bass. Although they sound amazing no matter the volume level or the frequency.

Why would you want subs to hit 60Hz+??
That's what mids are for.
As i said, different strokes for different folks. Metal needs that upper range. Some EDM and hip hop sound WAY better with that upper range too. A lot of bassheads dont even realize there's music information in that range until they hear a nice SQ setup where the sub hits a massively wide range and nope door speakers cant even fathom to keep up with what a wide bandwidth sub can give punch wise. Ever been to a concert? Their PA subs dont play much below 40hz and the overall feel of the and punch of the 50-100hz range of the music gets you feeling alive crushing your chest.

I used to want that in my car, but settled for lows instead. Overall changed my music library so to speak. Still miss bumping to metal. My first setup ever with some crappy JL W0 12s in a high tuned prefab actually hit the upper range real well, kinda missed actually. However i'd probably laugh at the output if i hear it now.

Wouldn't sealed enclosure be better for metal?

Sub dependent along with how big the sealed box is too. A lot of subs still do not play that range loud enough even in a sealed box. Essentially back to square 1 since you gave up overall output in the first place by going sealed, the upper range gets less loud too.

As i said, different strokes for different folks. Metal needs that upper range. Some EDM and hip hop sound WAY better with that upper range too. A lot of bassheads dont even realize there's music information in that range until they hear a nice SQ setup where the sub hits a massively wide range and nope door speakers cant even fathom to keep up with what a wide bandwidth sub can give punch wise. Ever been to a concert? Their PA subs dont play much below 40hz and the overall feel of the and punch of the 50-100hz range of the music gets you feeling alive crushing your chest.
I used to want that in my car, but settled for lows instead. Overall changed my music library so to speak. Still miss bumping to metal. My first setup ever with some crappy JL W0 12s in a high tuned prefab actually hit the upper range real well, kinda missed actually. However i'd probably laugh at the output if i hear it now.
All I know is...

Sub dependent along with how big the sealed box is too. A lot of subs still do not play that range loud enough even in a sealed box. Essentially back to square 1 since you gave up overall output in the first place by going sealed, the upper range gets less loud too.
1 advantage is sealed boxes tend to need more power but less distortion. I wanna say less box rise? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I had 2 15w3's in a sealed box...ran off a MTX 81000D amp 1 ohm....suppos'd to be 2 ohm stable...didn't break a sweat and managed a 146

Well massivespls I listen to alot of metal music, which is higher bass notes.
I listen to thrash, metal, hard and heavy double bass. Those 8's would do extremely well in a tline tuned to the fs at 38hz.....if you have the room. What vehicle?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.