Sundown SA-8 V.3 getting warm/hot on occasion.

Participant count
  • Participant list
Not really a noob question, but it can be if you look at it right. :p

So I have an SA-8 V.3 in a T-Line running off of a Hifonics ZRX 1000.1D

It's tuned using a DD-1 and the MOST this subwoofer sees at full tilt on certain songs is about 450-500 watts (Hifonics is a little off with their RMS claims on this amp as 800 is as far as it will go without clipping @ 1 ohm, 13.7v) I've had it hit the top ring once or twice. The thing about this is that it sounds SOO good, way more output than my 12s, but the hot cone is concerning me.

T-Line dimensions: 40 wide 12 depth 15.75 height

The cone gets significantly warm, a lot more than my 12s did and they had lower RMS. I'm assuming it's the box? I only smelt the sub ONCE during installation when I first got it (I did NOT set the gains coming from my 12s after the first hour of installation for the 8 so it was seeing about 800, turned it off immediately.)

Not sure what you mean when u say it hit the top ring once or twice... Wtf is the top ring? Also if the dust caps hot then it's doing its job... My dust caps get pretty freakin hot

I'm guessing bottoming out the sub...some people say it another way.

Dustcaps usually get hot because your giving it a lot of power. Some people will say other diff things.

That sub is rated for 500rms.....which is what your giving it sounds like. At the same time, I think your "maxing it out"....trying to make it sound like a few 12's.

An Sa 8 can take a 1000watt hifonics amp with 50a fuse rating no problem.... Set your gains clean and it shouldn't be a problem. The dust cap should be warm/hot because that's it's job. It pulls and pushes the hot air away from the coil.

What tone did you use? If it's the -15db you are probably clipping it.
0dB 50Hz

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

500 watts
try reducing to 500 watts

before you blame the box

It's receiving BELOW 500 watts. Read the thread.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

An Sa 8 can take a 1000watt hifonics amp with 50a fuse rating no problem.... Set your gains clean and it shouldn't be a problem. The dust cap should be warm/hot because that's it's job. It pulls and pushes the hot air away from the coil.
I checked my amp, it's a 80 amp fuse? Weird, on their site it says 50 amp. It came like that too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what you mean when u say it hit the top ring once or twice... Wtf is the top ring? Also if the dust caps hot then it's doing its job... My dust caps get pretty freakin hot
Haha, that makes me feel better. Jacob told me in an e-mail that the top plate (or top ring not sure) was way less detrimental to a subwoofer than actually bottoming it out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.