Subwoofer First install sound problem

Participant count
  • Participant list

mactube

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I just installed by 10" subwoofer into the door of a storage compartment behind the passenger seat of my Slingshot.
The Subwoofer is held by a thick hood board on the back of the plastic door ( the hole compartment is plastic like the majority of the interior of the Polaris slingshot)
The door sits pretty tight and is sealed with some from and the lock gives it extras stability , but of cause nothing but a wooden enclosure which can be about $500.

Thats why I'm trying to work my way around that.

I don't now the Watts of the sub ( its a 10" Memphis ) powered by an about 150 RMS Alpine Subwoofer amp. which was installed by a shop ( but I'm not Sure if they really knew what there were doing from how they answered my questions about some stuff)
The Sub and Amp worked great together in a truck ( where the sub was in a square box)

Now... the Sub wobbles a lot in and out but don't produce a strong bass sound.
As you can see in the video clip even with the radio on just on 10 -15 % Volume .. just a low wobbly sound ...

I'm assuming because of the big not stable housing !? So just stuffed some jackets in there to see it it makes a difference with the housing space / back pressure.

It just only slightly helped.

Is this really because of the enclosure, or might this also be about the head unit and maybe because of the " low-high splitter " they installed because they said there are no real outlets for the amp to be connected to.

I should also add, that I didn't install the level remote for the sub amp because I din't have the cable yet, that way I would turn the base down if maybe to much power / bass focus goes to the subwoofer!?

Looking forward to some ideas and helpful advice.

Here the links to the Videos / Photos

Attachments

• tempImageGyYYGz.png
    tempImageGyYYGz.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 35
They make specific boxes that replace that entire assembly from 200 bucks up to 500 some with the subwoofer included that solves that problem as mounting the way you do doesn't have the enough stability to handle a subwoofer and the rattling. So the Cover is removed and a subwoofer box is then installed taking up the entire area that is a sealed box. 10" is about what everyone uses for that. Just do a yahoo or google search. I saw a couple that were 199.99 for the box.

Rigidity. The enclosure it had before did not flex so the bass output was not canceled by the walls. As I read it, I wondered if that Slingshot enclosure could be lined with fiberglass epoxy to make it rigid.
Ok sounds like rigidity is important to the bass !? So thats what makes the subwoofer just wobble without producing a real bass ?? Yes the plastic walls of the compartment are thin.
If it's so important, I might have to build a wooden box to enclose the back of the subwoofer. Fiberglass epoxy might be an option for sounds more like some work for a pro. The inside walls are no even and not shaped the same... will be a real challenge but may save me a little storage space. Doe it make sense to add acousit foam panels? ... but as it appears only on stiff walls !?

They make specific boxes that replace that entire assembly from 200 bucks up to 500 some with the subwoofer included that solves that problem as mounting the way you do doesn't have the enough stability to handle a subwoofer and the rattling. So the Cover is removed and a subwoofer box is then installed taking up the entire area that is a sealed box. 10" is about what everyone uses for that. Just do a yahoo or google search. I saw a couple that were 199.99 for the box.

Yes I saw those ... most of them closer to $500 and I wanted to avoid loosing all the storage space, but If you guys are sure that the missing bass is defiantly from not having good enclosure. That's what I will have to work on first.

The links work now too.. sorry where set to private..
LOL.. What the hell is going on in that 3rd pic?? Deff not a proper environment for that sub, let alone any sub for that matter. get an enclosure built for it, or try using some tools of your own and build one. Its not rocket science for a sealed enclosure

LOL.. What the hell is going on in that 3rd pic?? Deff not a proper environment for that sub, let alone any sub for that matter. get an enclosure built for it, or try using some tools of your own and build one. Its not rocket science for a sealed enclosure

... just wanted to find out why the subwoofer is just wobbling .. hardly any bass coming out.. before I take further steps. I still don't now 100% of the housing is causing the extreme movement of the subwoofer thats what I stuffed jackets in there to see what happens and documented. Sure it's not rockedsicne but I want to eliminate all possibilities before I kill my storage. ( So if Acoustic Foam material would have been the answer, then these jackets would have given me a hint)

In regards to bass, the eclosure makes or breaks a good system. A common question made to newbies is, "How much storage space are you willing to sacrifice?"

@1aespinoza
@Coolhand20th

After installing 4 different subs including " Free - Air Subwoofers " that suppose to be able to work great in any inclosure .. on cheap Rockville and one expensive Kicker .. I had the same outcome every time .. a lot of wobbling .. rattling and minimal bass , I found the best solution :
A small active sub box that let me keep 85% of the storage . Needless to say this solution doesn't produce the biggest bang but probably my biggest bang for my bucks lol :

Still kind of heavy so I supported the plastic hinges with a metal strip :

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...