Sundown Audio sa-8 v.2 Review

o_O For the serious?hmm....... meh, ill run the 500.1 for a while, then trade/swap for more power if I want it. While I have your temporary attention whats a good SQ 1K amp? (high efficiency)?
uhm I have 2 running on a Crecendo BC 2000D they are seeing roughly 750 each can take 1k all day. honestly the woofers are still stiff and just now getting broken in after 3 months

Yeah that is true... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif I think ill run the 500.1 for a while, then go bigger eventually. But im sure you will sell that SAZ1k in no time.
That shop is retarded. Jacob has tested these on 2k. They'll take 1k for sure. If you want to guarantee you can run it for 3+ years, maybe keep it to 800w to be safe. I've had my SA-10 on 1.2k for over a year now. You might as well just buy the SAZ1k now while it's at that great price. It'll sound fine off 500w, it'll just sound even better off 1k //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

That shop is retarded. Jacob has tested these on 2k. They'll take 1k for sure. If you want to guarantee you can run it for 3+ years, maybe keep it to 800w to be safe. I've had my SA-10 on 1.2k for over a year now. You might as well just buy the SAZ1k now while it's at that great price. It'll sound fine off 500w, it'll just sound even better off 1k //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Yea better buy it before its gone...and yea the v2 8.s r nasty on 1k

Yeah they kinda are //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif I'm going to have them mod my front doors because they do clean work, and make me an amp rack to fit on the trunk side of my rear deck for my Hertz EP4 and a SAZ1k (hopefully //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif ) annnnnddd they have an o scope so they are good for tuning. but tards? yes... mostly. In every show car they run Hertz only, I asked why the first time a went in and they said because Hertz is the best. MFW :|

Also if I end up with the 1k ill probably tune for 0db, or -2. So it will be rare (if not never) that it puts a full 1200 on it

Last edited by a moderator:
are you talking sound quality or spl? Im assuming Spl if your running 6. I think they would sound good like I said humongous bandwidth at least with the enclosure I listened to one of them. My suggestion is MORE power if you want it loud you should give it way more than rated and I definitely think they can handle it.
As long as you keep the power going to them clean, they'll take plenty more power than they're rated at. I wish I was lucky enough to have been able to hear 1 of these. You said it got 'surprisingly loud'..what would you compare it to? I'm also pretty intrigued by these little monsters.

As long as you keep the power going to them clean, they'll take plenty more power than they're rated at. I wish I was lucky enough to have been able to hear 1 of these. You said it got 'surprisingly loud'..what would you compare it to? I'm also pretty intrigued by these little monsters.
I would compare it to poopy single 12 set ups like a kicker 12 in a prefab type thing but when you see how little it is its quite impressive

right now i have 2 12" kicker comps running on an 800 watt amp i know its not the loudest system in town thats for sure but i was looking to get two sa 8s, should i keep my system or get the sa 8s. im also hoping to get a bigger amp shortly.

right now i have 2 12" kicker comps running on an 800 watt amp i know its not the loudest system in town thats for sure but i was looking to get two sa 8s, should i keep my system or get the sa 8s. im also hoping to get a bigger amp shortly.
8s all the way sir

I am thinking of one of these.. my problem..I got a Silverado crew cab so space and a good box is an issue. How would these sound in a sealed box with about 500 goin to them..I am running a shallow MBquart sub in a prefab with about 200 rms to it. Sounds good but... I am very curious to know how deep theses can get.. any ideas>?

well honestly as much as it pains me to say it the kickers will probably be louder.. you have to realize thats like 6x times the cone area as 2 8's so the 8's would have to have 6x the xmax and 6x the motor force as the 2 12s to get as loud on the same power. The sa-8's will certainly sound better and be able to play lower. The sa-8s absolutely blew my mind, it was peaking at around 30hz. so if you are a fan of the low lows the 8s will do you more justice than the kicker 12s but they wont do it as loudly

I am thinking of one of these.. my problem..I got a Silverado crew cab so space and a good box is an issue. How would these sound in a sealed box with about 500 goin to them..I am running a shallow MBquart sub in a prefab with about 200 rms to it. Sounds good but... I am very curious to know how deep theses can get.. any ideas>?
I highly suggest you go for the sundown audio sb-8 (the sb stands for sealed box) even in a silverado crew cab you should be able to fit a nice ported box for 2-sa8s but I highly recomend you do not put the sa-8s in a sealed box, they we rent designed for it, hence the creation of the sb-8.

Not sure what you mean by deep, are you refering to how low these will play?

if so extremely low. Absolutely blown away like I said before 1 sa-8 on just 500 measly watts in the trunk of a car was peaking at 30hz at 130.1db. my previous set up 2 mtx thunder 8000 on 500 watts would barely play 30hz the sa-8 can dig into the lows just as well as any larger sub, it just doesnt have the abbility to do it as loudly do to its lack of cone area. But in a space limited instal there isnt anything better on the market now that I can possibly think of.

I loooked for those came up empty. I looked on Sundown's webpage and saw that they have sealed specs for the 8's. I called a local shop that is a authorized dealer and they said you can run them sealed. I rather go seal only because I drink too much to even think about trying to build a ported box. Its a toss up between the 10 Dayton HO or a SA-8. I like low deep bass.Hits hard at high volumes and still gets the lows. Ive seen some sick Youtube posts with some flexin off 1 SA in a ported box, but like I said I need to be mindful of the limited space under the back seat. The new body style has less room than last body style,,,so I just dont know....Crack open another beer...

I loooked for those came up empty. I looked on Sundown's webpage and saw that they have sealed specs for the 8's. I called a local shop that is a authorized dealer and they said you can run them sealed. I rather go seal only because I drink too much to even think about trying to build a ported box. Its a toss up between the 10 Dayton HO or a SA-8. I like low deep bass.Hits hard at high volumes and still gets the lows. Ive seen some sick Youtube posts with some flexin off 1 SA in a ported box, but like I said I need to be mindful of the limited space under the back seat. The new body style has less room than last body style,,,so I just dont know....Crack open another beer...
sorry the woofer is called sd here is a link to a thread talking about the prototype http://www.caraudio.com/forums/sundown-audio/548336-sundown-audio-sd-2-8-prototypes.html. Sure like the car audio shop said you can physically put the sub into a sealed box, but that would be a complete waste. The woofer wasnt designed for a sealed box and you would loose tons of output. After buying these on pre order and messaging jacob(owner of sundown audio) for box suggestions he strongly discouraged putting it in a sealed box. So if you cant fit a ported box for it or dont have the ability to design once I strongly suggest you go sealed 10, The Dayton HO is a very good choice

Yeah I figured that. I really like to see what these are about tho. I might just try and get some plans for a ported box and start cutting.. Thanks for your help.. will let you know how it goes!

Hopefully somebody will still be around in this thread as I'm seriously considering getting 2 of these for my car. Currently I have a single JL 10W7 in the JL high output box and it still slams pretty good but I've never really liked the way it sounded with a lot of rock and metal music. On fast metal a lot of the quick bass hits just get muddled together and sound like **** or else don't really come out very loud at all. But with rap or dubstep or anything else with 50hz and lower it just kills it. I'm just wondering if I get 2 of these 8's and hook them up to my Audison LrX 5.1K will it be just as loud or louder than my W7 (3 years old). And will I notice a big difference in the response time and SQ?

Also was wondering what would be the best kind of ported box to build that would allow it to get really loud but still have very good sound quality? Small slot port? Or maybe a couple of aeroports? I'm interested in aeroports cuz I know they can move a lot of air. But do they retain SQ to?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

itsblown

10+ year member
why is there smoke?
itsblown
Toledo OH
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies