Sundown Audio sa-8 v.2 Review

itsblown
10+ year member

why is there smoke?
Toledo OH
Review of Subwoofer or Speaker:

Just received the Sundown audio sa-8 yesterday and had all today to listen to it here are some pics

0418121743.jpg

I put it next to a kicker Comp 12 just for a reference

0418121654.jpg

0418121654a.jpg

We have it installed in the trunk of a Subaru in a .75 after displacement tuned to 35 hz. on an audioque 750.1 running at 2 ohms. The sub woofer is receiving 500 watts roughly.

After listening to it on all sorts of musics this thing blew my mind. It had a very large bandwith and wasnt peaky at all. it picked up the drums in rock music nicely while still playing the low lows in rap music.

my one complaint about the physical design of the sub is that the basket of the subwoofer and the holes in the mounting ring are a little too close. it gives you very little clearance when mounting.

0418121850.jpg

As far as loudness goes you need to look at what it really is. I haven't listened to a small system (cone size) ever really. when doing the math it has 6 times less cone area than 2 12s and on 500 watts it got surprisingly loud. But if you plan on bumping I would suggest getting multiple of these if your stuck on running them. If your looking for something to fill out the lower end that your mid and highs speakers cant pick up than this thing is perfect for it.

How do you think 6 of these would sound together? Very interested in these subs.
are you talking sound quality or spl? Im assuming Spl if your running 6. I think they would sound good like I said humongous bandwidth at least with the enclosure I listened to one of them. My suggestion is MORE power if you want it loud you should give it way more than rated and I definitely think they can handle it.

Have seen videos of one and two of these hitting low 150s. Dont know how true they are bc i wasnt there but still seem to be a great woofer

yeah remember guys this was on 500 watts we werent doing 3000 watt sine wave burps in a burp box.

Thanks for the review //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
You did a great job with this thing man. Any reason the mounting holes are so close to the basket like that? took us a while to fit it in there but were noobs

You did a great job with this thing man. Any reason the mounting holes are so close to the basket like that? took us a while to fit it in there but were noobs
We wanted a standard OD and as close to standard cut-out as possible -- in order to fit the spider size we needed and the terminals in the cut-out it had to be pushed pretty close.

I know my v1s are excellent, cant imagine how good these are.

I assume he fixed the tinsel issues. Each one of my V1s is getting 1000W+ RMS and doesnt bottom out or really get all that warm. Which is crazy considering its a 400W driver... I fried the tinsels though.. apparently their the weak link in the old v1s.

I know my v1s are excellent, cant imagine how good these are.
I assume he fixed the tinsel issues. Each one of my V1s is getting 1000W+ RMS and doesnt bottom out or really get all that warm. Which is crazy considering its a 400W driver... I fried the tinsels though.. apparently their the weak link in the old v1s.
The tinsels are a very different design in the new V2 version...

We wanted a standard OD and as close to standard cut-out as possible -- in order to fit the spider size we needed and the terminals in the cut-out it had to be pushed pretty close.
Makes sense just a bit of sanding we had to do

going to try two of em.... but wahts up with comparin 2 12s cone size to 1 8's cone size, lol lil unfair. At least compare 1 to 1 or 2 8s to 2 12s
because 2 12s is a relatively common set up so people have a reference to compare it to

little update on how it does Spl wise thanks to Kushy Dreams for metering it here are some results

1 sundown audio sa-8 v.2 dual 4 wired to 2 ohms on a audioque 750.1

130.2db at 41hz sealed at the dash

also did a 128db at 51hz and 27hz.

Yup 27h kinda blew my mind it hit that low like that also from around 25-50 the sub was completely flat rising by 10th's of a db at most through out that entire range

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

itsblown

10+ year member
why is there smoke?
itsblown
Toledo OH
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies