suggest a second battery and what size?

Participant count
  • Participant list

andy32844
10+ year member

Im in need of a second battery for system. I've done the big 3 and installed the largest agm dry cell battery that i can under the hood. However still when the bass hits the lights will go dim. Im running 1200 rms drawing 90amps max on two SA-12's. My trucks alternator is 136amps. Im wondering about a Kinetik or Optima battery and what size? Also, will my trucks stock alternator be able to handle the two batterys? the truck is a 2006 Ram Hemi btw..

thanks guys,

note that extra batteries won't stop dimming from voltage drop from 14V to 13V. that dimming will be noticeable until you fit a 225+ Amp alternator under the hood. extra batteries will help maintain 12.8-13V.

for the second battery, it should be the same mfr/model as the front battery so they charge and float identically. any differences will weaken the stronger battery.

my voltage has never been below 13 when its cranking to the max. is there a way to "buffer" it a bit maybe with a cap or something?
nope. a cap will only work when voltage drops, then it wants to be recharged. and it's total capacity is never realized since it never fully discharges.

to maintain 14 volts you need an alternator that can keep up.

alternators are available here:

High Output Alternators & High Torque Starters

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.