Such thing as a decent coaxial system without a sub???

Participant count
  • Participant list

snakey5138999
10+ year member

My friend has an 04 GTO and he wants to upgrade his stock system a little. He has an aftermarket HU, but they still dont power his speakers well enough. He has 6.5" boston acoustics behind the rear seats so far and his HU only puts out 18 watts rms. The 6.5's need at least 35 watts rms each, and he believes the speakers are cutting out and maybe distorting because they are underpowered. Do you think this is true?

Do you also think he is wasting his time buying coaxials, instead of components? He doesnt want to have a crazy awesome bass head system, just something he can turn up and listen to clearly with a little thump. He wants to put the same 6.5" coaxials up front, amp all 4 speakers and call it a day. What do you guys think about this?

My friend has an 04 GTO and he wants to upgrade his stock system a little. He has an aftermarket HU, but they still dont power his speakers well enough. He has 6.5" boston acoustics behind the rear seats so far and his HU only puts out 18 watts rms. The 6.5's need at least 35 watts rms each, and he believes the speakers are cutting out and maybe distorting because they are underpowered. Do you think this is true?
Do you also think he is wasting his time buying coaxials, instead of components? He doesnt want to have a crazy awesome bass head system, just something he can turn up and listen to clearly with a little thump. He wants to put the same 6.5" coaxials up front, amp all 4 speakers and call it a day. What do you guys think about this?
His primary need is an amplifier. Once he gets that he can see if he needs to upgrade or sublement speakers, but an Amp is probably good enough if he just wants good sounds and isn't worried about a super deep bass. For clarity at loud volume, yes, he is right, he needs more power. If he had a sub without the amp he needs it would just exasterbate the problem even further.

There is nothing absolutely terrible about coaxials. I run them in a few convertibles so no signs of a system can be seen. The tops are just to easy to slash and grab. Good coaxials a good hu and a clean amp will make him happy. If he wants a little bass from the 4 he needs to seal the doors up or put baffles behind them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.