Subwoofers work only after disconnecting and reconnecting positive speaker wire

Participant count
  • Participant list

Charles Oliver Vetter

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys, brand new to the forum. I really hate asking for help because I know just about every problem has been addressed alreadyI’ve searched and searched but cannot, for the life of me find a solution nor thread on what I’m experiencing right now. When I start the car, the amp light glows blue, but the subwoofers will not work until I disconnect and reconnect the positive speaker wire from the back of the sub. Once, the subwoofers started playing after I cranked the volume on the receiver up real high. Is this a poor connection? I’ve checked the power, ground, remote and speaker wires, I’ve replaced the plastic connector on the enclosure, switched the order of the subs (wired in parallel) but to no avail. 

Thank you for reading! 

-C

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey mate,

Thanks for raising your issue here! :fro:

Looks like a faulty connection somewhere, so I suggest the following;

• check power, ground, remote wires, from car battery, behind your head unit,
  • check RCA cables;
  • use multimeter to check resistance on the subwoofer, could be a faulty voice coil ;
  • Disconnect subwoofer output wires and use a test speaker with your amp to see if the problem persists, if it does, most likely your subwoofer is the culprit;
  • Take your amp out and test with another amp to see if the subwoofer works , then possible cause could be a fault with the amplifier;
  • Check amplifier grounding point, remember, power runs from negative to positive, hence the 12v negative ground notice! :laugh:
  • Check amplifier settings that its not high passed or the frequency is set to run tweeters resulting to low frequency being restricted to feed the signal to your subwoofer;
  • Hopefully if you attend to all of these tasks, your issue should be sorted :graduate:
20150228_215426.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.