Subwoofer wont play after install, please help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

kurtfromct
10+ year member

CT
Vehicle installing on: 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500, NO Bose

-I used a $100 radio connector interface to maintain the door chime and other function. Head unit works just as should and speakers work

-Pioneer MVH-X370BT head unit

-JL JX250/1 amp

-Alpine 8" Type R 4ohm subwoofer (bought in an Alpine enclosure, model is Alpine SBR-S8-4)

So I wired everything up and turn the truck on and the green light on my amp lights up. No music from the sub. I put my voltage meter between the positive and neutral on the amp and get the correct voltage. I double check the remote wire from the amp is hooked up behind the head unit to Blue/White tracer. The RCAs are plugged into "Low-Level Inputs" on the amp. Behind the head unit there is only 1 pair of RCA jacks, so that cant be messed up. I have the same color RCA for "right" on both ends. I double checked the speaker wire going from the sub to the amp, positive and negative both correspond on each end. I unhooked the sub and put it in my car, rehooked it up to a older 500watt JL as a test, and the sub played.

On the Alpine site it shows the sub as having a jumper thing going from (+) to (+) and (-) to (-), from each voice coil on the sub, and then 1 wire (+) and 1 (-) to that thing you plug the speaker wire into on the enclosure. So you can power this 4ohm sub with a 2ohm amp. I assume they ship the sub in the alpine enclosure like this. I guess theres a chance it may not be, but regardless that really shouldn't matter considering I heard the sub play while connected to a 500JL amp in my car briefly.

I'm totally lost here and no idea what to do next. The amp lights up and has power. The sub works when hooked up to a different amp. It all looks done right just doesnt work!? Anyone have any input? Thanks a bunch

did you turn your gain or "input sensitivity" up? maybe its the amp or HU, go to radio shack and buy an rca to 3.5mm aux and connect your phone or mp3 to your amp directly see if that works.

did you turn your gain or "input sensitivity" up? maybe its the amp or HU, go to radio shack and buy an rca to 3.5mm aux and connect your phone or mp3 to your amp directly see if that works.
I didnt touch the Gain at all. thats a good idea with the RCA to 3.5mm aux, will try that tomorrow.

then that could've been it your gain was all the way turned down so you had no sound.
i turn the gain up and that was it! I figured why tune the amp in if the sub is not playing so i never touched the gain. The gain wasnt at 0 but it was very low so i couldnt hear the sub. Thank you

i turn the gain up and that was it! I figured why tune the amp in if the sub is not playing so i never touched the gain. The gain wasnt at 0 but it was very low so i couldnt hear the sub. Thank you
lol sometimes its the simplest things... no problem!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.