Subwoofer Troubleshooting

Participant count
  • Participant list

Tynan918

CarAudio.com Newbie
Just bought some budget subs and I want to troubleshoot them...

They are dual Boss P126DVC (Phantom Series 12")... I'm familiar with the reputation and false power spec advertising of these woofers. They are just budget subs for my current budget setup... Pioneer DEH-S1010UB head unit and Sony XM-GTX1821 1000w 2 channel amp.

I'm concerned and confused with the middle of this speaker...

I have Permatex Super Black Silicone RTV, 3M Black Weather Strip Adhesive, and The Right Stuff Black to attempt to seal this up.

Confused because after watching unboxing reviews and seeing pictures of these subs, this circle piece in the middle of the speaker sticks out some from the speaker...
Screenshot_20220307-200524_Chrome.jpg

That being said, should this even be sealed ?

Another concern...the impedance rating.

These subs are rated dual 4 ohm each, but my ohm meter is showing 3 on the sub pictured in the last post.. (Haven't removed the other from the box to test it)

Is this part of Boss's false advertising or should I be worried about these readings ?

Another concern...the impedance rating.

These subs are rated dual 4 ohm each, but my ohm meter is showing 3 on the sub pictured in the last post.. (Haven't removed the other from the box to test it)

Is this part of Boss's false advertising or should I be worried about these readings ?
"Measuring speaker cabinets using an ohm meter will not give accurate results because ohm meters read DC resistance, not AC impedance. AC impedance will always be greater than the DC resistance, a typical 16 ohm speaker will measure approximately 12 ohms, an 8 ohm speaker will usually measure between 5 and 7 ohms and a 4 ohm speaker will usually measure between 2.5 and 3.5 ohms."
https://mesaboogie.zendesk.com/hc/e...ted-impedance-not-match-an-ohm-meter-reading-

Confused because after watching unboxing reviews and seeing pictures of these subs, this circle piece in the middle of the speaker sticks out some from the speaker...
It is an illusion caused by the cone's reflection. It is sealed snuggly to the cone. Resistance usually measures lower, so no need for concern on that end.

Ok cool, thanks for the clarification of that issue...I used 3M Super Weather Strip Adhesive (3 overlapping layers) to seal and glue the dust cap down good
20220309_184031.jpg

Id let it ret for 48 hours. Most people will rush it and think 24 hrs is alright.. but 48 will be certain for a good seal and settlement IMO

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...