subwoofer sounds like its coming from the back!! help

mithong
10+ year member

fairfax
i know the subwoofer shouldnt sound like its coming from the rear, but mine does

i have kappa 60.5cs in the front and a 12 inch type r in the back

my LPF on the subamp is set at 80 hz and my HPF on the comp amp is set at 80 hz

what should i change?

if the sub is in the back, it will sound like it's coming from the back...bass is non-directional, but you do want the sub, behind you, front stage in front, as well as center and midbass.

if the sub is in the back, it will sound like it's coming from the back...bass is non-directional, but you do want the sub, behind you, front stage in front, as well as center and midbass.
Wow Polecat....for the first time in a long time, I'm going to have to disagree with you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Changing your crossover points (and slopes if possible) as well as the relative output levels of your mids to your sub should help bring the sub sound upfront with you. Just because you have your mids highpassed at 80hz DOESN'T mean you need to lowpass your sub at 80hz. It shouldn't sound like it's coming from behind you, even though that's where it is located. And bass isn't non-directional, it's omni-directional //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

A major problem can also be resonances. If you hear any rattling or vibrating behind you, then that also is going to "pull" the sound back behind. So, be sure to knock out any resonances or vibrations that you may be hearing.

Also, the sub doesn't necessarily need to be behind you. Plenty of systems have a front mounted sub.

true, in most cases for optimal SQ setup I agree. But with a coax/sub setup, it's gonna be hard to achieve, IMHO.

Now if he can add a larger midbass/small sub up front to help, I agree that is the best solution.

Plus a full EQ would help as well.

Wow Polecat....for the first time in a long time, I'm going to have to disagree with you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
Changing your crossover points (and slopes if possible) as well as the relative output levels of your mids to your sub should help bring the sub sound upfront with you. Just because you have your mids highpassed at 80hz DOESN'T mean you need to lowpass your sub at 80hz. It shouldn't sound like it's coming from behind you, even though that's where it is located. And bass isn't non-directional, it's omni-directional //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

A major problem can also be resonances. If you hear any rattling or vibrating behind you, then that also is going to "pull" the sound back behind. So, be sure to knock out any resonances or vibrations that you may be hearing.

Also, the sub doesn't necessarily need to be behind you. Plenty of systems have a front mounted sub.
so should i have my sub low passed at a lower freq? like 70? wont i have a gap in my freqs if i do that

so should i have my sub low passed at a lower freq? like 70?
Can't tell you. This isn't an "internet answer" kind of thing. You just need to try different combinations and see what works best //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

wont i have a gap in my freqs if i do that
No. #1, remember that a crossover is not a brick wall. Also, there are other factors, such as your car's cabin gain/transfer function, etc etc. Long list of things that are going to affect it. But no, there won't necessarily be a "gap" in the frequency response.

Can't tell you. This isn't an "internet answer" kind of thing. You just need to try different combinations and see what works best //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

No. #1, remember that a crossover is not a brick wall. Also, there are other factors, such as your car's cabin gain/transfer function, etc etc. Long list of things that are going to affect it. But no, there won't necessarily be a "gap" in the frequency response.

ok, so i just read in another thread that u SHOULDNT have the same freq for ur low pass and high pass filter because u'll get a huge bump/peak in freq response... true?

A hump in response may depend on the implementation of those crossovers.

Typically in passive crossovers, the crossover point is where both the high and low signal are attenuated 3 db (butterworth) or 6 db (linkwitz-riley).

Keep in mind that two (in phase) signals sum flat if both are down 6 db at the crossover freq.

On my alpine headunit the frequency starts being attenuated at the selected freq., that means for a crossover of about 3.2 khz for my components that I'll need a 2.5khz low pass for the woofers and a (iirc) 4 khz high pass on the tweeters (3rd order). This makes both down 6 db at the crossover point.

Anyway, that may be part of your problem, so definitely try something like 65 low pass and 100 high pass and see how that goes..

Hope that helps,

Ian

Try setting your Low pass x-over to 50hz, usually higer frequencies are easily to locate compared to lower frequencies //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.