Subwoofer questions.

I'm about to purchase a new sub/amp setup for my '96 accord. I'm not fully understanding if the sound will be quality, given I am using stock speakers.

I'm installing 2 of these: Amazon.com: JBL GT5-12 12-Inch Single-Voice-Coil Subwoofer: Car Electronics

into this enclosure: Obcon 12" Dual Sub Woofer Speaker Box Enclosure Labyrinth Slot Port Made in USA | eBay

with this amp:Infinity REF1600A 600 Watt Mono Car Subwoofer Amplifier 050667035013 | eBay

keep in mind, this is all on a '96 accord.

Will the combination of the 3 produce good sound? Or would there be a better enclosure/amp I should chose to accompany the subwoofers?

Thanks.

they may sound ok at best ,but most prefab boxes are tuned way to high .you'll prolly blow them quickly trying to get more bass than the subs in that box can produce .there are better options for you and a custom built box isn't as expensive as you might think ,and it will sound better than a prefab and give you the results your looking for.

they may sound ok at best ,but most prefab boxes are tuned way to high .you'll prolly blow them quickly trying to get more bass than the subs in that box can produce .there are better options for you and a custom built box isn't as expensive as you might think ,and it will sound better than a prefab and give you the results your looking for.
Yeah, I'm not looking for a high-pitched sound, obviously I'm looking for a decent low-pitched bass that isn't too insane, but can cause some attention.

What enclosure would be the best for a nice low-pitched bass?

[quote name='Joshmcmillan']Yeah, I'm not looking for a high-pitched sound, obviously I'm looking for a decent low-pitched bass that isn't too insane, but can cause some attention.

What enclosure would be the best for a nice low-pitched bass?[/QUOTE]
you can hit up @double 07 ; for a box on the forum here

thats what i have been telling him that if his budget is limited a nicer single 12 for 100 bucks and a custom box will be a much nicer setup. the only way i go pre fab is in a sealed enclosure

It doesn't bother me whether it's 1 nicer one, or 2 not as nice.

I'm just looking to drop no more than $200 total on an enclosure + sub/subs. Less would be better, but $200 is fine.

I'm just looking to turn a few heads with a decent low-bass sound.

i still stand behind theAudio Technix 400 1 Amp Amplifier 400W RMS 1000W Max Class D 1 Ohm Stable | eBay

Audio Technix 4 AWG GA Gauge Complete Fused Amp Amplifier Wire Wiring Kit | eBay

12" inch Audio Technix Dual 2 Ohm D2 Strato 400W RMS 800W Max Sub Subwoofer | eBay

and a custom box 2 cube at 33hz from @double07 ; as your best option //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm definitely interested in this as well. Anybody want to compare my original set up, to this one? Opinions?

I messaged double07 to see what he would charge for an enclosure for the double JBL's, I'll see when he replies shortly, hopefully.

Price will come out to roughly $170 total, shipped for the enclosure. That's a bit steep, and I'll have to go well over my budge for that. I'm still not decided on what enclosure to purchase, more suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

It doesn't bother me whether it's 1 nicer one, or 2 not as nice.
I'm just looking to drop no more than $200 total on an enclosure + sub/subs. Less would be better, but $200 is fine.

I'm just looking to turn a few heads with a decent low-bass sound.
You will want to get a nicer and nicer system as time goes on. Personally I think the one nice sub and custom box is the best idea. For you to build your own box it will run you the cost of wood, glue, screws, and caulk. maybe 60 bucks or so. Im poor, on unemployment, and go to school 40hrs a week. I have no money for anything so I have to save and watch for deals. I think you should spend that 200ish dollars on 1 sub, like a nice good 12" SA-12 would be prefect. Then when you get the money build your box, then buy your amp a couple months later after saving. You want to turn heads... but make sure your system is worth showing off incase you want to show it off.

You will want to get a nicer and nicer system as time goes on. Personally I think the one nice sub and custom box is the best idea. For you to build your own box it will run you the cost of wood, glue, screws, and caulk. maybe 60 bucks or so. Im poor, on unemployment, and go to school 40hrs a week. I have no money for anything so I have to save and watch for deals. I think you should spend that 200ish dollars on 1 sub, like a nice good 12" SA-12 would be prefect. Then when you get the money build your box, then buy your amp a couple months later after saving. You want to turn heads... but make sure your system is worth showing off incase you want to show it off.
I couldn't see myself dropping over $300 on a full system (enclosure, sub(s), amp), anytime soon, maybe in the very long run. But for now I'm going to need to make purchases with my budget, but I may plan on upgrading in the future.

how would this SEALED enclosure compare to the original listed one?

Car Stereo Dual 12 inch SEALED Truck Subwoofer Enclosure 12" Speaker Sub Box New | eBay

OR

http://www.amazon.com/Fierce-Audio-Sealed-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B0067CXP6Q

I couldn't see myself dropping over $300 on a full system (enclosure, sub(s), amp), anytime soon, maybe in the very long run. But for now I'm going to need to make purchases with my budget, but I may plan on upgrading in the future.
how would this SEALED enclosure compare to the original listed one?

Car Stereo Dual 12 inch SEALED Truck Subwoofer Enclosure 12" Speaker Sub Box New | eBay

OR

Amazon.com: Fierce Audio 12" Dual Sealed Subwoofer Enclosure - Gray: Car Electronics
You Don't want that sealed enclosure for your car, that's more of a truck style box... An enclosure from double07 for $170 shipped would always be the best end result... I don't have a whole lot of experience with those particular JBL subs, so I can't say for certain whether or not they will sound as good as they should in the ported Obcon enclosure I linked you to in your previous thread, all I know is that they "say" it should work for those subs... I've had really good luck with Pioneer subs in those Obcon ported enclosures, howerver the higher tuning is ideal for those subs because they tend to emphasize the lows and roll off very early so that helps to flatten out their response a bit... If you are really on an extra tight budget, I've got a single 12" Pioneer TS-W307D2 In a Ported box I'll sell you for $80 + ship... It would sound good on that used Infinity you are buying running at 4 ohms with no problem... Just throwing it out there, PM me if you want to talk about that...

Pic:
3G83M43L15Gb5J65M5d635896b00d46b914ee.jpg

Exactly how tight is your money situation? If you want a ported box, it's better to spend more for a good box, custom-made by a professional.

Also, since those 12s and that amp should be plenty of loudness for you, I'd say a sealed enclosure could be a good fit for you. Smaller box would take up less space, and although I'm sure it depends on the builder, you could probably get a sealed box made for a little cheaper. Or make your own, if you have the tools. And since it looks like you'll be sending 300 watts to each sub, and they're rated for 275, a sealed enclosure a tad on the smaller side would manage the extra power nicely for you.

You Don't want that sealed enclosure for your car, that's more of a truck style box... An enclosure from double07 for $170 shipped would always be the best end result... I don't have a whole lot of experience with those particular JBL subs, so I can't say for certain whether or not they will sound as good as they should in the ported Obcon enclosure I linked you to in your previous thread, all I know is that they "say" it should work for those subs... I've had really good luck with Pioneer subs in those Obcon ported enclosures, howerver the higher tuning is ideal for those subs because they tend to emphasize the lows and roll off very early so that helps to flatten out their response a bit... If you are really on an extra tight budget, I've got a single 12" Pioneer TS-W307D2 In a Ported box I'll sell you for $80 + ship... It would sound good on that used Infinity you are buying running at 4 ohms with no problem... Just throwing it out there, PM me if you want to talk about that...
Pic:
3G83M43L15Gb5J65M5d635896b00d46b914ee.jpg
I just don't have the money for a $170 enclosure ontop of a $100 amp and $120 set of subs, I also have to purchase wiring and a new HU. I'll get back to you on the offer you made me, I'm ordering the set-up I choose Friday so ive got a bit of time to decide.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.