Subwoofer not hitting as hard as it used to

Participant count
  • Participant list

John Z

Ok, so I have a JL audio 10" ported subwoofer with a JL audio 300.1 amp. Both were installed by a professional audio shop. The sub hit hard and sounded great for about 3 weeks and then one day it just started to sound weak, not hitting as hard and pushing bass at what feels like half of what it used to. If I turn up my volume up high, the bass seems to die out/distort. I've gone back to the audio shop twice to have it checked out and there was even a man who worked for JL who happened to be there. They tell me nothing is wrong with it and I am getting frustrated. I've been checking the system myself during my free time and I'm positive that my sub isn't blown as well as my problem doesn't lie in my HU since I recently replaced that and I tried new RCAs today which weren't the culprit either. My amp checks out as well and isn't overheating. I'm beginning to think that my alternator may be the problem. This also happened with a kicker hideaway box I had before the JL setup, was awesome for a few weeks and then just seemed to die down a bunch, figuring it was the kicker box, I had it replaced on warranty and had it rewired along with a new headunit to discover that none of that solved the problem I've had with getting a new subwoofer, having it work flawlessly for a few weeks, and then it dying down for no reason with no solution. I'm just referring to that to show how this is a recurring issue which now affects my current JL system. I'm wondering if anyone has had this issue and what their solution was or if anyone thinks my batt or alternator is the issue and what I should do about that since nothing from my HU back seems to be the issue.

you probably did some damage to your subwoofer's voice coil. Get a digital multi meter and check the coils a D2 voice coil should read around 1.7 and a D4 should be around 3.4, if your in the 5s or 6s, you've worn down the coil like crazy due to clipped signals and distortion.

You can use the DMM to check your battery's voltages to when you play your system on full blast, see if the voltages even get up to 14.4. If its not getting past 12.8, you have an electrical problem on your hands.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.