subwoofer extremely quiet

Curtisphillips

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jul 7, 2020
Washington
I cannot figure out what i am doing wrong. I purchased a Skar 10" sub and I've tried about 10 amps but can't get a new one to work correctly. The sub works perfectly with any old amp i have, (1990 or older) but every new amp i get, i have to put my ear right up to the sub to hear it faintly come out. I've tried turning up the gain, and when it's all the way up, I can hear the sub from maybe 5 feet away instead of putting my ear up too it lol. I've been testing it on the floor in my house with a 12v car battery. Do new amps need more than 12v or something? The power light comes on and the amp does work, just at about 1%. Does anyone have any input on why the new amps are doing this? So far I've used a Skar, Soundstream, Crunch, Audiopipe, Planet Audio, and some others for amps but they all did the same. The ones that work fine are old Kenwoods, Pioneer, Hifonics, Alpine, Sundown, and Sony. All the ones I have are old school like 90s lol.

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Pharr, Texas
The sub is probably 8 or 4 ohms. Most new amps are designed to work at 1 ohm, while most old school amps are designed for 8, 4, or maybe 2 ohms.

MattinMO

Senior VIP Member
Dec 31, 2017
St.louis, MO
What’s your signal source? I.e. aftermarket head unit, dsp, or factory radio with loc?

dragon.breath

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Nov 22, 2007
Al
Are you sure that the voice coils are not wired out of phase?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds