Subwoofer direction.. how important is it, and why.

Leesi207

CarAudio.com Recruit
Sep 12, 2020
Maine
I have a Honda Civic sedan. I just realized the box I’m building will need to upfire to allow my port to vent through the rear deck hole my 8” was in.
Im not sure if I should start over, or just try. I really don’t know how (and which) direction matters.
Box volume & Port size are direct from Audiofrog. I manipulated dimensions while keeping the numbers the same to try and vent through deck.

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
5,000+ posts
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
I have a Honda Civic sedan. I just realized the box I’m building will need to upfire to allow my port to vent through the rear deck hole my 8” was in.
Im not sure if I should start over, or just try. I really don’t know how (and which) direction matters.
Box volume & Port size are direct from Audiofrog. I manipulated dimensions while keeping the numbers the same to try and vent through deck.
Horrible idea. Unless you do a 4th order blow through and fully seal the trunk, your ideal will flop. You are causing extreme cancellation with that kind of orientation. Fire the port and sub to the rear for proper phasing. Otherwise do a trunk wall.

Leesi207

CarAudio.com Recruit
Sep 12, 2020
Maine
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Horrible idea. Unless you do a 4th order blow through and fully seal the trunk, your ideal will flop. You are causing extreme cancellation with that kind of orientation. Fire the port and sub to the rear for proper phasing. Otherwise do a trunk wall.
Dude thank you for constantly being on here and answering questions.

THATpurpleKUSH

Your emotions will be manipulated for my pleasure
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 30, 2009
Slums of the Shaolin
Sub back port back is the best way to go with a trunk car unless you have access to a meter and know what you are doing to avoid creating cancelling waves.

NytFlyt

CarAudio.com Recruit
Jul 18, 2020
Central/Southwest USA
I’ll second (third?) the above advice. Fire it all backwards. I also have an 8” hole in the rear deck where a factory sub would have gone (different make/model car though). No need to aim anything directly through the hole (aside from the 4th order box mentioned above) - that hole will still allow ample bass through with the sub/port pointed backwards.

audioholic

not a moderator
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Aug 31, 2003
Parts Unknown
Just make sure when you are rear firing that you have proper ventilation from the trunk to the cabin. If you don't, the trunk will (partially) pressurize and the port through the rear deck will create a bandpass effect. I've found this to be surprisingly common in trunk installs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds