Subwoofer configuration help needed.

Participant count
  • Participant list

chefws

Originally posted in the 'Speaker' forum, so reposted here.

Hey to all you car audiophiles. I have patched together a system that pretty much fits my needs, but isn’t of the greatest caliber. I have limited resources (money), so over the past year and a half I’ve been buying cheap stuff here and there to add to the system.

Presently I have a JVC head unit, and RF 300w amp for my 4 6x9’s.

I have the following subs:

2) 10” RF 8ohm 200w rms/400w max

2) 10” Sony 4 ohm 500w rms/1000w max

2) 12” Sony 4 ohm 550w rms/1100 w max

These are running off of a 1000 w amp with the following specs:

4 channels

RMS @ 4 Ohms 4 x 125W

MAX @ 4 Ohms 4 x 250W

At 4 Ohms Bridged 2 x 500W

RMS @ 2 Ohms 4 x 200W

Min Speaker Impedance 2 Ohm

I presently have the 2) 10” RF 8ohm parallel presenting a 4 ohm load on one channel, the 2) 10” Sony 4ohm presenting a 2ohm load on one channel, and the 2) 12” Sony 4 ohm presenting a 4 ohm load on 2 channels.

I bid on a pair of 10” RF DVC 2 Ohm speakers, and didn’t think I would win, but I did. I got 2 Rockford Fosgate Punch Stage 3 P310D2 10" 800W Subwoofer 2 ohms for $40 each. The power handling is 400w rms/800w max. If I use only the 10” RF DVC, I can wire each one to present a 4 ohm load, and bridge it on the amp. That is easy. What I am trying to do is get all the speakers to play off of the amp. (Yes, this is stupid, and I acknowledge that)

I won’t be able to use the 2) 200w rms speakers for this configuration.

I am thinking that if I run 2 each of the Sony 10” subs parallel to make an 8 ohm load, and configure the 2 DVC parallel to present and 8 ohm load, then connect the 2 configurations in series, I will have a 4 ohm load to present it to 2 channels bridged. I am thinking this will give me a 4 ohm load and an output of 500 watts.

Does this sound right?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Note: I posted this in the speaker forum, and helotaxi replied:

My head hurts and my ears are crying thinking what that must sound like.
Shitcan everything but the new subs. Build a proper box for the subs. Wire the coils of each sub in series to give you 2 4 ohm load and run each sub on a pair of the channels of you amp bridged and call it good. The sound will be WORLDS better than what you could ever hope to achieve with that mass o' "subs" you have now. More is usually less when it comes to mixing subs like that.

Also this is in the wrong forum.
I appreciate his reply, and I agree that in a normal vehicle the 'mass o subs' would most definitely sound like crap. I plan on using the 2 10" 200w RF subs as my everyday listening subs in between my seats. I have a full size cargo van, and have the others in the back, facing the both sides the exterior of the vehicle so the van sides 'bumps', and it is controlled with a toggle switch to turn on when needed.

I have built a ported box to RF's spec's, as helotaxi suggested, presently tuned to 40 hz, and they sound good, but not nearly enough to fill the massive void of the van. My 6x9's are so loud, I can't hear any of the bass in the rear of the van, just the bass 2 mentioned directly above. (I have 4ea 6x9's in the cab of the van pushing about 150w per pair offof the 300w RF amp)

Again, any help with the verification of my wiring scheme would be most appreciated, as DVC's are new to me.

Just a follow up. I wired the 2 2ohm 400w rms to 8 ohms, added the 2 12" speakers at 8 ohms to present a 4 ohm bridge to the amp, and it plays awesome.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.