Subtilis 12

Every model I've done so far makes these woofers look like absolute studs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Quite easy to make flat. Also easy to get a sizable peak at tuning for those who prefer that sort of thing.
I'd really like to try one out, I just don't have the money to swing right now, and too much other crap laying around that I need to sell. I'd love to try one in 2-2.25ft^3 at 25hz though.

Yeah.

$120ea shipped is an unreal price!

And people, feel free to PM me with any questions on ordering, response curves, etc.

A wall of 4 of them would be cool, But even cooler if they had 15's.
Be patient //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I'd really like to try one out, I just don't have the money to swing right now, and too much other crap laying around that I need to sell. I'd love to try one in 2-2.25ft^3 at 25hz though.
I want to do something similar. But with a pair //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Performance is quite good on these drivers... IMO the 1w/1m numbers are fairly irrelevant for a sub-woofer since it is a 1 khz measurement. Any sub-woofer with good low-end extension in a small box will have a low 1w/1m rating (Hoffmans Iron Law) -- and these are the units most desirable for car audio as space is at a premium in a vehicle.

Compare it on a model with a woofer with a 1w/1m, say, 3-6 dB higher (also a 12") in a small box and see which one is louder at 30-35 Hz even on equal power //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

sundownz is right on the money. Hoffman's Iron Law tells us many times its actually preferable to have a low efficiency subwoofer.

Also, efficiency is not a good indicator of how well a sub will do with SPL. IOW, low efficiency does not mean it would make a bad SPL driver. SPL subs these days have massive and exrtemely stiff suspension systems, not exactly the recipe for high efficiency. But many people think SPL subs are super efficient simply because they are only considering the peaky response they tend to have (given their installs).

This driver features a heavy duty 50mm WW copper coil with vented 8 mil 2.5" diameter aluminum former, extremely strong cone (as thick as most big boy SPL drivers), and a high quality butyl rubber surround.

Spider is a double layer predominately nomex material unit with flat, tied down leads. For resistance to abuse it features the same tooled triple joint support ring as our SA-12 driver and also our frame spacer to bring x-mech up to 36mm before any rearward collisions (this is beyond x-mech of the spider so it's essentially impossible without stretching the spider material). In prototype testing we found that the driver was capable of reaching 26mm of rearward throw without issue when more than rated power was applied (which is the maximum x-mech with no spacer) so the spacer was added for production to increase the distance from the triple joint ring to the top plate by 10mm to prevent the potential for mechanical damages even when pushed beyond rated power.

It is really not similar at all to the ICON other than in appearance of the tall and relatively narrow stacked motor -- I believe the ICON is a 3" coil unit as well, this driver is a 2.5" coil design.

Since I aided with the design I'm sure some folks are wondering if this is similar to the SA woofer -- the answer is no. The coil of the Subtilis unit is a bit longer, top plate shorter, pole extension higher, cooling different, back plate thinner, magnet stack narrower and taller (totally different motor in nearly every way), cone different, surround different, dust cap different, frame different. Essentially an all new driver save a few custom tooled parts re-used (spacer and triple joint ring).

You can use nearly identical enclosures for the SA-12 and Subtilis 12, though -- they both like compact enclosures with low tuning.

would like to see a freeair test and a pix of the coil. the vid that was taken earlier was of poor quality. just want to see the sub not a car with a lil rearview mirror shake.

do a few burps in the enclosure you can buy with the sub. put it thru its paces please...

This driver features a heavy duty 50mm WW copper coil with vented 8 mil 2.5" diameter aluminum former, extremely strong cone (as thick as most big boy SPL drivers), and a high quality butyl rubber surround.
Spider is a double layer predominately nomex material unit with flat, tied down leads. For resistance to abuse it features the same tooled triple joint support ring as our SA-12 driver and also our frame spacer to bring x-mech up to 36mm before any rearward collisions (this is beyond x-mech of the spider so it's essentially impossible without stretching the spider material). In prototype testing we found that the driver was capable of reaching 26mm of rearward throw without issue when more than rated power was applied (which is the maximum x-mech with no spacer) so the spacer was added for production to increase the distance from the triple joint ring to the top plate by 10mm to prevent the potential for mechanical damages even when pushed beyond rated power.

It is really not similar at all to the ICON other than in appearance of the tall and relatively narrow stacked motor -- I believe the ICON is a 3" coil unit as well, this driver is a 2.5" coil design.

Since I aided with the design I'm sure some folks are wondering if this is similar to the SA woofer -- the answer is no. The coil of the Subtilis unit is a bit longer, top plate shorter, pole extension higher, cooling different, back plate thinner, magnet stack narrower and taller (totally different motor in nearly every way), cone different, surround different, dust cap different, frame different. Essentially an all new driver save a few custom tooled parts re-used (spacer and triple joint ring).

You can use nearly identical enclosures for the SA-12 and Subtilis 12, though -- they both like compact enclosures with low tuning.
50mm would be a 2" coil, not 2.5". //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

50mm would be a 2" coil, not 2.5". //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif
Everyone misses where I say "WW" after the 50mm part.

It's a 2.5" diameter coil with a "Winding Width" of 50mm (2") -- also referred to as winding height.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Everyone misses where I say "WW" after the 50mm part.
It's a 2.5" diameter coil with a "Winding Width" of 50mm (2") -- also referred to as winding height.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
You are right, I didn't see it the first time I read your post. My bad.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

pimpolligist16

10+ year member
HOLA HOLA HOLA HOLA
pimpolligist16
IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date