Subs thumping when car turns on, amp cuts off. Restarting car fixes sometimes.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Phlipbak
10+ year member

CA Enthusiast
As the title suggests, I have an issue.

I installed my Alpine CDA-9885/CDA-9887 (can't remember which model at this second) in my car with active setup in my front doors roughly three years ago. This past winter, I had my subwoofer (Ascendant Audio Havoc 12") fixed after the voice coil had blown. After having it returned to me, the other subwoofer went out. So currently, I have my Havoc 12" (the fixed one) connected to my AQ2200D at 2 ohms in series (it's a dual 1 ohm subwoofer).

I haven't had any problems in months since the last bad woofer went out. I have my Gain knob connected so that I know if/when my amp is clipping.

A couple days ago, I turned on my car and my subwoofer popped. I figured it was the amp cutting on before the headunit, no big deal, the light clipped on the gain knob but it was only once so I didn't worry. After a day or so, the thump/pop became multiple thumps/pops that after four or five clipping thumps the amp and the gain knob turned off entirely. I had to restart my car and the whole system came on normally.

Now when I restart my car, the issue just keeps happening. It won't work at all, just pops and cuts off. How do I fix this?

I realize there are relays that can delay the turn-on time of the amp a couple seconds to prevent this, but I feel like it's bigger problems since once the headunit has cut on the pops continue for a couple seconds and it cuts the amp off.

Any advice would be great. Sorry for the long read!

Trevor

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.