Subs quit, quick connects on speaker melted?!?!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

junyarrJames

I have a 2000 escalade with factory bose system. I have retained all factory speakers including the console sub. I spliced into the factory sub output a scosche speaker level to rca adapter with bass knob. Everything from there is all kicker. kx.800.1 with kicker factory box with 2 comp v 12's. I bought the amp, subs and wiring kit from a coworker who had an authorized kicker dealer install it. I installed it in my truck and had no issues for 6 months. It was louder than hell.

Then like a month ago i get in the truck and the subs dont produce any sound. The light on the amp is on so know its not a power or remote turn on issue. So i decided to take the speakers out of the box. First one looks good, although the soldering for the quick connects on the box looks very poor. This soldering seems like it would be a bottle neck since its only half the thickness of the wires it connects. Then i get to the 2nd sub and find that the quick connects seem stuck or frozen on the back of the speaker. The red terminal does free up after I apply a little force. The black terminal however does not, and the speaker wire is slightly melted into the quick connect. Then I notice the switch for 1 and 4 ohms is halfway inbetween 1 and 4.

Does anyone have an explanation or any ideas of what is happening, or happened. My first thought was it may have been due to the switch's improper position. If so, this box has never been opened since it left the factory to my knowledge.

Any thoughts, ideas, or help would be greatly appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.