Subs hitting only at loud volumes.... Help!

PaLiAcH
10+ year member

SoCal
Hey fellow audio nuts,

did some reasearch under the search forums, but couldn't find anything.

i finally installed my old head unit in my car (a sony cdx c7000x) with a single 10" Kicker Comp VR 4 ohm sub with a 200w mono amp.

now my problem is that the subs start hitting only at about 3/4 volume or more, then i can turn the volume down some and depending on the music, the subs will stay on or go out (turn off).

now it did this before (same head unit, same sub) in my old setup in my truck and i thought it was due to a very very small amp running it. but with this new setup, i actually bought an amp rated for this sub and i get the same problem.

any thoughts on why this is happening and how to fix it? the sony has a mono sub out 4v.

please any feedback and suggestions would be great... thanx!!

grounds are all solid... and that would be a strange coincidence to occur both times with two different car setups...

keep em coming...

thanx again!

could cheap rca's do anything? or does that just deal with noise and such? (ive got the old skool monster cable bright purple rca's -- the one with the remote turn on incorporated in the center of the rca's, which i just ripped apart to separate the power from sound)

What are your amps X-overs set to? Dose your sub hit like you'd expect it to when you have the volume all the way up? If they sound distored then you need to check your amp. Can your HU control your X-overs too? If so then check those too.

the head unit is set to 80 hz low pass filter and the the fade is normal (about 1.5 notches toward the front)

the amp is set at low pass filter as well.

when the volume is up the subs hit hard as set by the amp, and when the volum is lowered, lets say to halfway, the subs will stay on at the lowered rate if the sub is bass-heavy. if its a normal song, then u can totally tell that the subs just turn off. then i raise the volume again to get the sub jump started and it hits as supposed to... lower the volume and they will just turn off as if there wasnt enough juic going to them, but yet they are hitting at the right volume when they go off...

does that make sense?

a friend of mine said to hook up the sub preouts to the rear preouts and see if it does it. if it doesnt, he said the sub outs are prob not good, thus meaning leave them at the rear outs (with no sub volume) or new headunit.... could this be the case and do u agree?

thanx all!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.