subs get stinky

playyamxz550
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Memphis
okay so i have 2 18in dc xl and a clarion eq now i put the eq in and when i have no music playing nd i turn up the bass knob its plays alittle bit i guess its just picking up signal threw the rca. anyways im running a 2011 kicker zx2500 now i run the eq settings bass at half voulume alittle more then half and the 125 and 50hz almost maxed and my subs get stinky but more so when i drop a low note, do you guys belive its the eq?

only way to know for sure is if you unplug the eq and run straight RCAs from the back of your deck. EQ's have been known to clip signals, well eq/line drivers do anyway. The 50-125hz should not even be going to your sub. Do you know how to use an EQ?

Naw ure sub suppose plays the 50-80hz region, some ppl go up to 100hz for there LPF. 80 is pretty common though

op: idk why your eq would be making the smell, but best way to find the smell is your nose. Turn it up, when you notice the smell start smelling things. When you put your nose close to the component producing the odor trust me ull notice its much stronger at that component vs anywhere else in the car.

then why when i crank the 50hz up it gets like double the louder? and if the 50hz and 125hz are of theres no bass? so what you mean im not supposed to use them

the reason the subs are getting stinky is because your sending a clipped signal to them.

my advice would be to turn the 50hz down and leave it there. it sounds like your trying to use the eq as a volume knob, it is not. its ment to control sound not make it louder.

Is it the Eq746? when i turn up the bass on mine with no music playing my subs don't make a noise, but i don't have the 50hz and 125hz knobs maxed out. Those knobs increase the output voltage significantly your most likely sending a clipped signal. I usually run the 50hz at the default mid setting.

2 18s at 2500 and no bass? What, are you free airing them? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif You are going to burn your stuff up. Take it to a reputable audio shop and let them set it up for you. Once they get it squared away leave it alone until you figure out what you are doing or get ready to spend quite a bit of money in the process.

also check your speaker wiring most of the time you'll be surprised you had something wired wrong, check it with a dmm to see if theres any coils messed up ect..

2 18s at 2500 and no bass? What, are you free airing them? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif You are going to burn your stuff up. Take it to a reputable audio shop and let them set it up for you. Once they get it squared away leave it alone until you figure out what you are doing or get ready to spend quite a bit of money in the process.
****** idea shops are retarted look up how to do it then re study it again then set ur lpf to 80hz and watch set ur gains

my father stay in memphis by germantown i should go over there and on the way there i should drop to check your system

jk about going anywhere would love to help though

Stay away from shops they will set it up even worse so when you do cook the coils you may come back to them and buy some of their great brands.. Seens it many times guy comes right from the shop with bass boost cranked, ss set to 20hz, lp set to 140, Gain just a tad from full tilt.. Oh yeaa I would rather burn them up on my own then let a shop do it for me.. Atleast the money u saved from not going to the shop will help with the recones...

If it was me I would remove the eq from the equation and see what happens then... Got a friend with a fluke? I know u got atleast a DMM correct?

Stay away from shops they will set it up even worse so when you do cook the coils you may come back to them and buy some of their great brands.. Seens it many times guy comes right from the shop with bass boost cranked, ss set to 20hz, lp set to 140, Gain just a tad from full tilt.. Oh yeaa I would rather burn them up on my own then let a shop do it for me.. Atleast the money u saved from not going to the shop will help with the recones...
If it was me I would remove the eq from the equation and see what happens then... Got a friend with a fluke? I know u got atleast a DMM correct?
y u no answer my pm

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.