Subs get loud, but don't get that feeling.

namomaitreya
10+ year member

Virginia
I have two 12" Memphis 15-pr12d4 in a ported box and a Memphis Class AB 16-pr2.75. Upgraded to factory installed JBL system and speakers(instead of stock). In the trunk of my 09' Corolla Type S. The box takes up a good portion of the trunk not leaving to much room.

I have the amplifier installed to the back of the rear fold down seat. Now they seem to be getting pretty loud with the seats up and trunk closed.

I've got the usual rattles but that doesn't really concern me. I have a friend with a single 12" and a similar amp. When the bass goes off it is heard as well as felt in the chest like air is being pulled from you. I'm not really sure if this has to do with the placement in the trunk. The type of box or amp.

I'm sure there are many factors involved, however my question is what are some steps I could take in order to figure out why my subs are just loud and don't really have the same effect of full body euphoria.

Been crawling over the net trying to see what ideas I can come up with. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Is the box a pre-fab?

A lot of times they are tuned high 40hz+

This will cause a drop off in the lower frequencies. (the ones that cause the punch is chest feeling)

Either this or your amp has its SSF turned way to high.

The subs are facing towards the rear of the car. The box is a pre-fab. Dimensions of the box are 15Dx15Hx35W. Rectangular box no slant. The port is in the middle going from top to bottom.

The subs are facing towards the rear of the car. The box is a pre-fab. Dimensions of the box are 15Dx15Hx35W. Rectangular box no slant. The port is in the middle going from top to bottom.
what are the dimensions of your port?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.