Subs cut out at low volumes...??!?

3onDubs
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Currently, i'm running a Nine.1 and 2 idmax 12's wired down to 1 ohm....

When I turn the volume on my W200 lower than 20, the subs start to cut out....when I raise the volume again to above 20, they start thumping again.

Has anyone seen this before or have any idea on what could be happening?

I'm guessing it's the amp, but i'm not sure...

whats your box tuned to? do they completely stop moving?
The box is tuned to 32 hz.....they don't completely stop, they cut in and out as if the cd was skipping.

I just experimented changing the sub level through the head unit.....if i turn up the sub level, it seems to play well at lower volumes from what i can tell.

check your gains.
I can't really check the gains that easily.....the amps are in the spare tire well and the box takes up the whole trunk. It was installed at an audio shop a few months back and it's been fine until last week. If anything, i'd take it back to the shop so that they could look at it, but I just wanted to get some feedback first (like if anyone else has seen this problem before) so that I could have a better understanding of what the problem could be.

I know that if the gains are set too high, i'd have problems at higher volumes, but if i'm having problems at lower volumes, could that mean that the gains are set too low?

It sounds like a wire is coming loose somewhere either in the amp, or on the subs. I had this happen a long time ago with a sub when a tinsel lead was slowly breaking.
same thing happend to me. the power wire came lose under the hood and i just screwed it back in. point being i had checked the gains, played with the h/u, etc and all it was, was a lose wire

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.