Subs barely playing but amp has power

Participant count
  • Participant list

Connor_gunning

CarAudio.com Newbie
okay i I just installed a autoteck SS5000.1D with 2 Rockford Fosgate P2’s and I know the system works together because it used to be in my brothers car I hooked up up in mine with eveytbing the same but for some reason the amp will turn on won’t go into protect but when I try and play them the subs are barely getting any power they play but it’s only noticeable if you feel them

Which head unit? Make sure that the subwoofer level is at max on the head unit. How do you have the amp set? Take a pic and post it.
I’ll have to get one tomorrow it’s on a pioneer double din similar to what it was on before and I double checked every setting on it. I had a system previously working just fine with no issues I think something messed up the the amp I’m gonna put a multimeter on it tomorrow

Yeah, pics of the amp settings, wiring, subs / wiring may help.

I don’t know the box setup or if the subs were taken out / rewired, but make sure all the coils are in phase properly if they were out of the box since last used.

Using the voltmeter, play a sinewave (60hz roughly), then turn up the volume and amp gain to see how many volts AC the amp is putting out at the speaker terminals (make sure the crossover is set to let the test sinewave pass), with the volume at zero should be 0 volts, and cranked up should be over 60vAC (but depends what that amps true output is, so I suspect it might be a little less). Unplug the RCA cables and measure AC voltage at the ends of the cables, test left and right separately when playing the sinewave, do it with volume at zero, then turn it up to max and should get roughly what the head unit preout voltage is rated at or close. Then you know the amp is at least getting full input signal.

I’ve run plenty of cheap stuff so not saying anything bad about it, but that amp isn’t going to be the best quality and I would not be surprised if it developed an issue. But, start with the wiring, make sure the subs are all good, RCA cables, lastly, cycle all the amps switches and knobs (dirty switches and knobs can kill or hinder output). If you have another amp to install / test, that might be the quickest thing to try.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...