Subs aren't loud!!

STI Trooper

Hey guys. Ive had a pair of JBL GT5-15" subs for a few months now on a cobalt 800w mono amp and

love em. They shake the whole car. but i just got a brand new Kenwood Kac-8105D 1000w peak/ 500w RMS mono amp looking for some cleaner sound and now the subs hardly hit at all. They are on and vibrating but my component 6 1/2" kenwoods in the doors and trunk are louder with better bass. I used the same wires and everything i had hooked up before to the last amp that worked well and ive done about 15 amp/sub installations myself so I know the amp is hooked up right and that the subs are not blown either. All fuses good. Amp has power and great ground and rem wire is perfect. Im stumped... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

I just checked the leads going to the amp from the subs, switched em to see if maybe they were crossed inside the box and it didnt change anything. Im assuming that all is well with the subs and connections inside the box since all i did was swap amps.

A blown amp would not work at all. if it did it wouldn't be very long before it completely stopped working.

To the op, this may or may not be a dumb question, have you setup the new amp's settings?

I know this may sound really obvious, but I had a friend with the exact same issue (same amp), and all I did was turn off the LP filter for him. Go look at your amp and play with your LP/HP. It can make a world of difference.

I know this may sound really obvious, but I had a friend with the exact same issue (same amp), and all I did was turn off the LP filter. Go look at your amp and play with your LP/HP. It can make a world of difference.
ahahah

you are running it at 4 ohms... whats the specs to the amp, if your cobalt amp ran at 800w at 4 ohms this kenwood might say 500rms but thats probably at 2 ohms (like most kenwoods are stable to) and if your running at 4 ohms your probably only getting about half of that so like 250w. but what are the two model numbers of the amps, it might be more helpful to people to know.

I know this may sound really obvious, but I had a friend with the exact same issue (same amp), and all I did was turn off the LP filter for him. Go look at your amp and play with your LP/HP. It can make a world of difference.
I did this, but i was dumb enough to sell the amp because I thought something was wrong with it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

you are running it at 4 ohms... whats the specs to the amp, if your cobalt amp ran at 800w at 4 ohms this kenwood might say 500rms but thats probably at 2 ohms (like most kenwoods are stable to) and if your running at 4 ohms your probably only getting about half of that so like 250w. but what are the two model numbers of the amps, it might be more helpful to people to know.
What i was thinking

Edit: Looked up the specs and the amp is putting out 250watts at 4ohm. Perhaps that's why?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.