Something's not right (obviously). But I'm postive my wiring is. (amp problem)

Participant count
  • Participant list

christeeezy

Hi,

Let me just say that I do have a bit of experience installing audio systems in various cars. I have most experience in setting up subs to both stock and aftermarket systems.

Now, I've installed a 12 inch sub with an Alpine MRP-650 mono amp in a friend's M3. That setup worked flawlessly for as long as it has been set up (about half a year). He recently came up on three JL 10w3's and a JL 1000/1 amp and asked me to install all that for him. I removed the first setup, and I took out the battery lead wire fuse so there wouldn't be any accidental shorts.

A few days later I finished building his custom box holding the three 10 inch subs, and went to install it along with the 1000/1 and putting the 100A fuse back in. We turned the car on and low and behold, the amp doesn't turn on. It's okay, I thought, the JL amp is just broken. So today I went to install the Alpine amp, and still nothing (I KNOW this amp is not broken).

So I did some tests. I took my VOM and measured the voltage between the 12+ and ground connects on the amp, reading around 13.75v with the engine running. Between REM and ground read around 12v. I read the continuity from the REM connection on the Peripheral SVENR to the REM connect on the amp, showing perfect continuity. Same with the SVENR 12+ connection. FYI, all grounds are grounded to factory locations with wires not exceeding 1ft.

Heres a quicklist of stuff you might need to know to help:

Setup 1:

-4ga wire, 100A fuse

-Alpine SWS-1222 Sub

-Alpine MRP-650 Amp

-Peripheral SVENR 2CH Line Output Converter w/ Remote Amp Turn-On

Setup 2:

Same as setup 1 except three JL 10w3-D6's (Dual 6ohm subs wired in series to 4ohm load)

Any input, ideas?

Thanks in advance,

-Chris

sounds like an issue somewhere with the turn-on wiring. i know you checked those but try running a short turn-on wire from the amp power connection to the remote turn-on and see if that gets the amp awaken.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.