Subaru needs a new HU - help me pick!

Participant count
  • Participant list
Status
Not open for further replies.

gvmelbrty

NM
Hope every can endure one more "help me pick" request…

My needs are simple.. I've got an older car that I'm stuck with for the time being: a 97 Subaru Legacy wagon (it gets me through mt. snow storms). I've already installed four new speakers (Pioneer 6.5" TS-G1644R). Now I need a new singe DIN HU and that's where I need help.

My uses are: iPhone 5 for podcasts, music (therefore DAC bypass is desirable) and BT handsfree phone conversations (so reliable BT handsfree w/ quality external mic is important). I listen to lots of AM/FM radio (but I'm usually in rural areas where HD radio is out of range, so HD radio doesn't matter, and SiriusXM isn't wanted either). So AM/FM preset buttons (or a wireless remote that can easily access them) are important. I'll probably be willing to buy it off e-bay w/o a factory warranty to save money, so reliability is important. I'd like to stash my USB wire out of the way somewhere, so I really don't like front USB access, but it's tolerable if absolutely necessary. … Something that is lag-free in it's iPhone interface and does ok without an amp (but I'm open to adding an amp and sub later, just cuz I like to tinker and I know that's what really makes these HU's sound good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif.

I've considered the JVC Arsenal KD-A735BT.

Budget: ~$225. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Best you can get for that budget, IMO. Clarion CZ702 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com
Thxs for the input.

This fits my budget: I just saw Kenwood KDC-X996's on ebay for under $225. My two concerns are widely reported screen glare issues and no warranty buying from a non-authorized dealer. I know lots of people have this HU... Is the screen glare really that bad? And how risky is it buying a x996 w/o warranty support?

Man... warranty's are BS. to begin with.

The cost to benefit ratio from buying from an authorized dealer isn't there.

You usually find stuff for 30% cheaper from eBay or amazon or up to 60% off on the forums/Craigslist.

The manufactures have made the warranty more of a gimic than anything. IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...