Sub wiring

Participant count
  • Participant list

desertapache

CarAudio.com Newbie
My factory sub has 2 positive and 2 negative terminals but the sub I recently bought has 1. I think that means the original was dual coil and the new one is single, but I dunno. Can I wire the new one with both positive wires to the single positive terminal, or is that going to damage it?

I'm a dum dum and tossed all the old stuff. I found the replacement parts on the Subaru parts dealer site but it doesn't give and electrical specs, just "device that produces sound". Thanks Subaru...

Can I wire the new one with both positive wires to the single positive terminal, or is that going to damage it?
Try this, wire only one positive and one negative. Sweep the balance left to right. If the sub stops working when on either side, then only keep one side connected.
*This next step is experimental, so up to if you wish to proceed.
If there is no change, then connect one of the positives to the negative of the wires coming from the amp (this is called bridging an amplifier). Then the remaining wires go to the sub. Raise the volume slow to see if you have sound and that there are no funny noises.

If there is no change, then connect one of the positives to the negative of the wires coming from the amp (this is called bridging an amplifier). Then the remaining wires go to the sub. Raise the volume slow to see if you have sound and that there are no funny noises.

For the most part I am using all of the factory wiring and connections. I removed the plastic connectors for the sub wiring and don't have easy access to my amp since it is in the factory location. So do you mean connect the positive wire to the negative wire on the sub side?

I apologize, I don't understand this stuff yet.
I'm going to post another thread with all my speaker info soon because I have a few more questions not quite related to the subwoofer.

Alright I'll work on that this weekend. Thank you!
I mixed up the advice!
If there is a change when you sweep from left to right, only then, connect one positive from one set and one negative from the other set, straight to the sub.
Do NOT, wire the positive of one set to the negative of the other set! Keep those taped up separately.

I mixed up the advice!
If there is a change when you sweep from left to right, only then, connect one positive from one set and one negative from the other set, straight to the sub.
Do NOT, wire the positive of one set to the negative of the other set! Keep those taped up separately.

Thanks for fixing that lol. I knew it sounded off.

My factory sub has 2 positive and 2 negative terminals but the sub I recently bought has 1. I think that means the original was dual coil and the new one is single, but I dunno. Can I wire the new one with both positive wires to the single positive terminal, or is that going to damage it?

I'm a dum dum and tossed all the old stuff. I found the replacement parts on the Subaru parts dealer site but it doesn't give and electrical specs, just "device that produces sound". Thanks Subaru...
Use One set of wires only on new sub

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...