Sub Surround...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Heathen

CarAudio.com Recruit
Auckland
Maybe not the most appropriate board, but I'm a bit lost.

I made the mistake of buying another secondhand sub. I thought it just had a cork/particle board surround to protect the rubber roll part.

As you can see, it deteriorated. I went to pull off the higher bits, so it was all even and I could find a tidier surround.

However! I try to lift the surround and it lifted the edge of the rubber surround away from the frame. I've since realise that whatever is under this fragmented looking part, is an actual extension of the surround.

Terrible wording and terminology, but I expect you'll get the idea of what I'm saying.

I'm not really willing to scrap it and replace. I don't have the funds.

How would YOU repair/reinforce this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-08-24-20-54-55-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-08-24-20-54-55-27.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 61
Remove the cork with a sharp razor blade. Cut on an angle to prevent cutting the rubber; and keeping the remaining cork as level as possible. Also cut toward the outer frame, to prevent accidentally cutting the rubber surround. You can place your new cork on top of the portion remaining.
Just a suggestion.

Gently peel it off layer by layer. There will be a layer/fragments left but that’s ok. You can get a rubber gasket from directonix for $7. That’s a proprietary basket but anything should work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.