Sub reccomendation for a box I already have

Participant count
  • Participant list

Robb Adams

I have a box I bought from a friend, he had a really cheap sub in it and I would like to relace the sub. It is a bandpass enclosure, with 2 ports, the sub is 12" and the front has a volume of .85 cu ft, and the rear has a volume of .91 cu ft. I will only be running about 100 watts RMS to the sub, so I am not looking for a super powerfull sub, something more musical, I mostly listen to rock music, but do listen to other stuff as well. Please forgive my ignorance, I am totally new to this stuff.

Robb Adams

217468_121_full.jpg

Jmac bandpass boxes are not the worse boxes available. they work well in certain ranges, but you cant really crank it up with bandpasses. if they ****** so bad, i doubt that so many companies would keep them on the market...they have to be good in some aspect. they do not provide the worse SQ, but they dont provide good SPL. the SQ is pretty good at some ranges, just not others.

thanks for all the info folks, I guess I have alot to learn:confused: So, for the type of music I like, (rock, Alternative, Etc) I should go with a different type of enclosure? I am really interested in that Kick from real drums. not really that low rumbly bass I hear from the kids cars drvin down the street. Not really interested in impressing the guy in the car beside me I just want things to sound good to the broad beside me:D . I dont know if it matters, but the sub is going to be in the trunk, I always seem to have some $hit in there, so the smaller amount of room the sub takes up the better.

217468_121_full.jpg

Well, I didn't really have a budget in mind as I don't know really what I am getting into. I do know that I probably could build a sealed box on my own, if I had some sort of a blueprint. I have alot of woodworking tools at home (Table saw, joiner, plainer, jigsaw Router etc)

when you buy a subwoofer new does the manufacturer include box building specifications?

Keep in mind that the amp I am running can only put out 100watts rms at 4 ohm's on the sub channel, but can be operated in 2 ohm mode as well. The amp is a Sony 5 channel amp, I believe it is 40 x 4 and 100 x 1, the model # is XM-405EQX.

Robb

jmac i never said that bandpasses were better than sealed and ported in all aspects. ive got 2 alpine type s 10s (which is what you reccomended) and they sound GOOOD. they dont hit hard but they have good SQ. i have a custom bandpass from my local stereo store and they are better i think than most others ive heard. but bandpasses DO sound better at certain ranges than some sealed or ported boxes.

ok, 1-1.25 cu ft box, is this the volume when the box is empty, or do I have to make allowances for the space that the sub takes up when it is mounted in the box?

Robb

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.