Sub parameters: Which would you pick? (Round 2)

Which subwoofer would you choose?

• Subwoofer #1

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
what if I told you that Im comparing a $50 subwoofer to a $175 subwoofer

the point Im trying to make is people usually purchase subwoofers because of the name or if someone on forums have boners. Usually people on these forums are paid by manufacturers to talk highly about their subs.

JimJ is right. The only way I can tell the difference would be for me to actually hear the sub for myself. Unfortunately, I dont have many opportunities to do so (unless I buy them and sell them...like I use to do)

I wish there was a way to determine the best sub for me according to the numbers

it would make decision making much easier

unfortunately it seems like parameters are not enough

Subwoofer #1
FS: 26.1

QES: 0.475

QMS: 8.103

QTS: 0.449

VAS: 3.28 ft^3

XMAX: 11.7mm

SPL (1m/1w): 87.2db SPL

SD: 526cm^2

RE: 1.8

Subwoofer #2

FS: 23.6 hz

QES: 0.40

QMS: 4.99

QTS: 0.38

VAS: 3.0 ft^3

XMAX: 18mm

SPL (1m/1w): 86.2db SPL

SD: 480cm^2

RE: 1.8 ohm

Which subwoofer would you choose between the two?

1.7 cu ft box vented tuned to 30 hz.

please explain your answers

BL 9.9 vs 14.35

thanks

In this case the second would probably be much better as a vented enclosure woofer. The motor strength is much higher, BL^2/Re of 114 vs 54.45 for woofer one. The higher motor strength means you can excite the resonance of the port much more, meaning more output in a vented box. Also, it is clear that woofer 2 also has more mass as the Fs is lower but Vas is still lower. More motor plus more mass is how you create output in a vented box.

Woofer 1 has a larger Sd, but with woofer 2 having more Xmax it displaces more air. More displacement, more motor strength, and more mass all equals much more output in a vented enclosure.

John

They both seem like good sealed box woofers that will get loww. Low FS, semi high Qts. The second one is more linear and is slightly more suited to ported boxes, so I chose it.

In this case the second would probably be much better as a vented enclosure woofer. The motor strength is much higher, BL^2/Re of 114 vs 54.45 for woofer one. The higher motor strength means you can excite the resonance of the port much more, meaning more output in a vented box. Also, it is clear that woofer 2 also has more mass as the Fs is lower but Vas is still lower. More motor plus more mass is how you create output in a vented box.
Woofer 1 has a larger Sd, but with woofer 2 having more Xmax it displaces more air. More displacement, more motor strength, and more mass all equals much more output in a vented enclosure.

John
thank you sir

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Subwoofer #1 = 12" JL Audio W3

Subwoofer #2 = 12" RE Audio SR

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...