Sub not hitting on high volumes.. Also lights are dimming help!!!

Dabohl

Im very new to car audio and have no idea how to fix any of this. A local audio shop installed my subs and they sound great but theres a few problems.

If I turn the volume all the way up or if I change the db to anything above -4 the sub looses strength and barely hits. I always check my battery voltage on my screen and it ranges anywhere from 14.5volts to 13.2 volts but doesn't loose volts when the subwoofer is playing so I don't believe the battery is the problem. I have an nvx xkit42 (4gauge) wiring kit installed into a nvx jad1200.1 which powers my alpine swr12d4 at 2ohms. My lights also flicker every time the subwoofer hits, this doesnt bother me much, im more concerned on the reason my subwoofer is loosing power. Could it be the ground wire? Someone Help Please!!

Let's see where to begin...

For starters full volume does not mean 100% on the head unit if you are doing this than you are clipping and lowering your voltage. It is not getting any louder after a certain volume because you have passed the ideal volume and the volume that the shop SHOULD HAVE set it to.

Next leaving it at -4 on bass boost is fine and should stay that way.

It is most likely dimming because of turning up the volume too high, using eq that doesn't need to be done, a bad ground or improper gain setting.

For starters full volume does not mean 100% on the head unit if you are doing this than you are clipping and lowering your voltage. It is not getting any louder after a certain volume because you have passed the ideal volume and the volume that the shop SHOULD HAVE set it to.

It is most likely dimming because of turning up the volume too high, using eq that doesn't need to be done, a bad ground or improper gain setting.
Im going with both

Ya u need to look at how to set ur gains and do a proper ground where is it grounded now? And like murph said depending on ur hu max should never be reached on ur hu

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

Ps. Most car audio shops are over priced and sucCk balls

Thank you for your help, one of the setting on my headunit is frequency 50,63,100,125. what should that be set too? I'm going to check the gain and ground tomorrow to see if that fixes the problem.

Thank you for your help, one of the setting on my headunit is frequency 50,63,100,125. what should that be set too? I'm going to check the gain and ground tomorrow to see if that fixes the problem.
I am guessing that is some type of LPF setting so if those are the only options depending on your box tuning or if it's sealed I would go with 63 or 100. Your amp should also have the LPF set on it.

Dude, I posting in your want help thread in the other section. I am local to you. If you need some help advice let me know.
I think I'm going to try and fix it myself before I have someone help me. Elite automotive in Glassboro installed it for me and pretty cheap too.. I think it just needs some tuning but you will receive a pm If I need something. Thanks !

I think I'm going to try and fix it myself before I have someone help me. Elite automotive in Glassboro installed it for me and pretty cheap too.. I think it just needs some tuning but you will receive a pm If I need something. Thanks !
Your amp is probably just getting pushed too hard and going into clipping/protection at high volumes. Lowering the gain will solve the issue, but just in case I would follow the amp's ground wire and look at their ground connection to the car body. Make sure the wire attaches to a cleaned spot (paint should be scraped off) and it's tight.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.