Sub cut out Please help. Checked everything

multimaster
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
NJ
Hi I've had my sub running for about a year and a half now fine with no problems. However a few days ago it cut out completely and I can't get it running again. I've checked the ground. I made sure the RCS's wern't loose. Everything is connected fine. I used a volt meter and It picks up reading at the speaker outputs and all the way down to the sub itself. But I just can not get the sub working again. Any suggestions.

I can I tell if it's blown it pretty much looks fine except for a very small tear right behind the cone. It looks like the metal strips got really hot and burned a hole through the sub would that do it?

When you checked the output on the amp was your DMM set to AC voltage. Check the output on the amp with your system turned on with the DMM set to AC voltage play with the volume and see what the voltage is.Then test your sub. Disconnect it from your amp. Set your DMM to OHMs. and see what is says.

I can I tell if it's blown it pretty much looks fine except for a very small tear right behind the cone. It looks like the metal strips got really hot and burned a hole through the sub would that do it?
pics?

sounds like you fried the sub though.

The Tinsel leads look pretty good and in tact, however there seems to be a little corrosion on them and the terminals, Could the corrosion be the cause? And if so what is the reason for corrosion? Did my connections vibrate loose?

When you checked the output on the amp was your DMM set to AC voltage. Check the output on the amp with your system turned on with the DMM set to AC voltage play with the volume and see what the voltage is.Then test your sub. Disconnect it from your amp. Set your DMM to OHMs. and see what is says.
Bump for what I said to do. DO IT.

Bump for what I said to do. DO IT.

No AC voltage was registering it was staying at .01-.02 Amp blown? I could have sworn the other day it was showing up when I checked it. Maybe both my sub and Amp are blown. how exaclty do I check the Ohms on the sub?

Well if there is no voltage with system turned on and you playing with volume and all with DMM set to AC volts. Then most likely your amp is fried. You can check too to make sure you amp i getting a signal. Set the DMM to AC pull out the rca cables and just take one head on the rca cable take your dmm leads and put one to the shell and the other to the tip and see If there is any voltage there with system on you playing with volume up and down.

Take the sub on nothin connected to it. Take your DMM set it to ohms. And just check each coil. See what they read.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.